Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
RedMan351

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default career confusion

I have been reading up on career info in the gaming industry. I know for sure this is what i want to do. I just have a few questions that need answering. (actually a lot, but i'm only asking a few for now) so if you could help, it would be much appreciated.
1. I looked into salary info and i learned that artist make, on average, 70,000 + dollars a year after 6+ years of exp., Designers make a little less, and programmers make 100,000+ dollars a year after 6+ years of exp. i don't want to seem like i'm only in it for the money, cause i have passion that motivates me to get in this career, but i want to make sure i earn enough to support myself, and get stuff on the side. programming salary is awesome, but the salaries for art, and designers (which is what i think i want to do) is a little lower. are actual salary figures higher or lower now adays and can you make more?
2. what exactly are the responsibilities of game designers? game artists? i look it up, but never get a straight answer. always something like they draw, or map out levels (i'm paraphrasing of coarse). but i'm looking for a little more detail. can someone help me out with this?
3. Another thing I wanted to talk about is this. I stated above that i wanted to be an artist or designer. but i'm actually interested in doing more. for example, Hideo Kojima is the designer, Exec. producer, writer, director, etc. of the mgs series. i'm not trying to get ahead of myself, because im only in high school, but i would like to know if there is a route i could take to achieve this goal? i already have ideas for a game, and i'm writing them down.
4. When i do get a career eventually, how would i pitch an idea to my employer or a publisher?
5.Last question for now. lol. What is the best type of photoshop to use? im looking into learning to use it to create/edit/improve my drawings.
Thank you for your time, and any advice is appreciated.
RedMan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
mdzitter

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss66

1) If you are in it for the money, you are never going to get there. If you love what you're doing, and you're driven, you'll find a way to make good dough.

2)This article should get you started: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm

3)If you love games, and you work hard, and you are good at what you do, and you're lucky, you'll be the next Kojima. Okay, maybe not, but you get the idea. Kojima didn't start out saying "hey! I want to be the next Kojima!" He did what he loved, and he was good at it, and he had luck and circumstances on his side.

4)Well, you'll want to check out Sloperama's articles on pitching games. Also this one: http://www.obscure.co.uk/articles-2/...product-pitch/ And don't get too ahead of yourself, as you'll read, pitching games is an incredibly rare opportunity these days unless you're the CCO (Chief Creative Officer) of a company.

5)Photoshop is pretty expensive, but you should probably use the latest version, however you choose to acquire it. Also check out GIMP, its an open source, Photoshop-like tool.
mdzitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2269

1. Of course you can earn more, and you can earn less as well. That is why that survey gives an average. The salary will be dependent on the company and individual and as always, salary is a negotiable area.

2. As well as the Sloperama FAQ, read: http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/g...08careerguide/

3. Kojima has been in the industry for 20 years to get where he is. You do the math.

4. Depends on the company. Some companies will have a formal pitching process in place, others may not. If you have an idea, you just have to make sure the right person hears it.

5. Again Photoshop is extremely expensive. I used to use Paintshop Pro back in the day but GIMP is probably your next best bet to a Photoshop alternative.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
RedMan351

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Thanks a lot. ur advice helps. and i didnt mean for it to come off as "im only in it for the money." lol. I'm passionate about this being my career. i just want to make sure i gather as much info about this as possible before i start on my career path. Also, i only used kojima as an example. i wasnt saying i wanted to be the next Kojima, just that i want to strive to achieve some, if not all, of the same goals. I'm not argueing though. i just wanted to clear up my motives a little bit. lol. thanks again, and you'll probably be hearing from me more often as new questions rise.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
RedMan351

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Also, no offense or anything, but the obsure.co.uk article said the article has been removed or was never there or something like that. but thanks for your time.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
mdzitter

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss66

Sorry, here's a working link: http://www.obscure.co.uk/articles-2/...product-pitch/

Last edited by mdzitter : 04-28-2009 at 11:22 PM.
mdzitter is offline   Reply With Quote