Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Hi Larsen,

Courses should be fine, do not worry about getting a degree at your age.
What they will be looking for are traditional art skills primarily, which it looks like you have.

You'll need to work on getting a portfolio together. In your case a modeling portfolio you should also learn how to texture your models too.

Try looking at these courses also. They are excellent.

http://www.gnomonschool.com/
http://gameart.sessions.edu/

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_larsens View Post
Do anyone have experience with Game Institute?
As I said, I've done numerous programming courses from there and they were very good. I don't know about the modelling courses that they do, but I know that the guy who does the 3rd modelling course was one of my lecturers back when I was at university and he was pretty good then.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
two_larsens

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Thanks to everyone for the help, and the links to other the courses. I didn't know about those, and they do look interesting too. Courses it is, then, and it's really something I'm looking forward to starting.

Henrik Larsen
two_larsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Sara jones
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss50

For long term benefit we should consider degree.
Sara jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
two_larsens

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Well, that last answer was perfectly useless. Why is a degree better in the long run? If you don't need it, and this isn't the first place I've heard that, then I would imagine it would be up to the individual situation - as already stated in the previous threads. The more I've looked into this - through this and other forums, talking to people in the business, then it is mostly dependent on what you can do, and not so much how much time you spent doing it. I have to say that is good.

HL
two_larsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Yes and no... What you can do is important, but time spent doing it is also pretty important, most games jobs will state "Minimum of 3 years in the indusdry and at least 2 released titles" or something to that effect. The benefit of a university degree over a bought course is that degrees are more recognised, and companies have an idea of how much work went into acquiring it. Bought courses on the other hand could be useful & complex, or they could be very simple and not so helpful and the only way the company will know if it's good enough for what they want is if someone there has taken the same course, or if it's had a lot of positive reviews by other industry veterans.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #17
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_larsens View Post
Well, that last answer was perfectly useless. Why is a degree better in the long run? If you don't need it, and this isn't the first place I've heard that, then I would imagine it would be up to the individual situation - as already stated in the previous threads. The more I've looked into this - through this and other forums, talking to people in the business, then it is mostly dependent on what you can do, and not so much how much time you spent doing it. I have to say that is good.

HL
Because a degree opens more doors. A degree is more recognised standard of education worldwide and allows you to go on to further study (Masters or Phd).
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote