Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Other/Off-Topic
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142
Default Security, or Contract Position with High Hopes?

My response to someone else's question got me thinking about my current situation. My wife and I are relocating to Raleigh, NC in about a month because we're simply not happy living in Ohio. I'm in the job seeking process because relocation with my current company didn't work as planned.

I'm not at a point where I'm ready to work on games yet -- have started learning Direct3D and still have a LOT to learn first. I dedicate a fair amount of time to learning, have a portfolio site started (not ready for critique just yet), maintain my game development blog, and have some demos for the portfolio in the works, so I think I could be ready for a game job in eight months or so. I know Raleigh is a good area for software development, including game development, but I don't have a lot of contacts in the industry yet.

So here's my question: Would it make more sense to get a standard full-time job when we move for the sake of security, or should I seek a contract position with the plan of applying to game companies once the contract ends and I've built up my skills? One problem of course is that I may not find a job right away after the contract ends. What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
ScHiZo

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

Was it my question that got you thinking? Anyways, if I was in your situation, I'd look at things at a day-by-day basis. Get whatever job you can then think about the future as you go. One of the mistakes I made during my time unemployed is thinking about the future too much, you might not get a full-time/contract job so easily, so try to get them both simultaneously. It's a rough job market at the moment, so we don't really have the luxury to plan ahead (unless you're a millionare ).
ScHiZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
So here's my question: Would it make more sense to get a standard full-time job when we move for the sake of security, or should I seek a contract position with the plan of applying to game companies once the contract ends and I've built up my skills?
Try for both? Look for both a full time job and skilled contract positions while you do self study.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Mariol

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

I say go for both. As ScHiZo said it's a hard to get job at the moment within this economic climate, so get whatever you can. You may find that you'll need longer than 8 months to perfect your portfolio and learn new skills so at least going for a full-time role will ensure you still have money coming in to support yourself and your wife.

I sort of did the same thing last year. I took a full-time role so that I could work on the development of my portfolio without having to worry about what I'd do when the contract finished and I didn't gain a games job lined up or if my portfolio was still not up to scratch and couldn't apply.

Junction 5 Studios | Twitter | Werdz Movies FB page
Mariol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142

Yeah Schizo, it was you! Thanks to all for your advice. I don't know why I split it up in my mind, intending to try for one or the other. Definitely makes sense to take it one step at a time, apply for both, and see where God leads.