Get the latest Education e-news
 

Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
iwitts
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Lightbulb Support Women in Game Development by Becoming an e-Mentor

Female Gamers:

Would you like to give a helping hand to other women in game development?
Do you wish someone had helped you?


Now’s your chance to become a WomenTechWorld.org e-Mentor and support
other women working in or studying to be a game developer to help them
achieve their career goals.

We’re especially looking for women in the Game Development occupation to
become e-Mentors for the female students of Cañada College in California as
part of our CalWomenTech Project.

See this TV news story about the project:
http://www.iwitts.com/html/042007_female_video_game.wmv

If you or someone you know would make like to be an e-Mentor for a woman
in the Game Development occupation, please visit our website at:
http://www.womentechworld.org/ementoring.htm

Quote:
WomenTechWorld e-Mentors—Because We Believe in Supporting Each Other.
iwitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
irishlostboy
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10
Location: Ireland
Default

who said sexism is dead? it just switched sex. lol

i never did see the point of sexualy discriminitory (is that a word?) projects. if there is some external bias getting in the way of someone getting into an industry (bar the fact that most girls have zero interest in said industry) then the bias has to be dealt with, not balanced out with another equilly wrong-headed bias.

personally, i think sexual discrimination is dead in our generation, and its corpse is kept on a stick as a nasty weapon by weak people. its not quite second wave feminism, but its not far off.

not a popular voiced oppinion yet, but, give it time....
__________________
my free game assets and tutorials; http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy
irishlostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Anne Andres
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default

I have to agree entirely. If nothing else, getting into the game industry is *easier* if you are a girl BECAUSE you are a girl. Because we think and act and feel differently, even with more limited skills than male counterparts. When the industry reaches a greater equilibrium, the bar will be raised.

Realistically, there is no reason why women should be allowed sexist acts and unions in the game industry any more than they are in the rest of life. Where I currently work, I make as much as everyone else (actually slightly more, because I'm really good). When I went to game school, I got a $5000 scholarship just because of whats between my legs. How does that make any sense?

I would like to see a real reason as to why "women mentors" shouldn't just fall under "Mentors". There are alot of people trying to get into the game field, why should anyone except the most skilled get in? Mentor the best and the brightest, not the ones with XX or XY exclusively.
Anne Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Gshonk
Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Andres View Post
I got a $5000 scholarship just because of whats between my legs. How does that make any sense?
Or lack there of sorry I couldn't help it. But yea I know some girls at my school who are the same way and frankly they don't deserve it. But if it helps girls get interested in the industry I think its good, there are a lot of girls that play games out there and not enough girls making games. Face it guys don't know what girls want
__________________
Grant Shonkwiler()
"I would love to fix the world if someone would just give me the source code"
Website Industry blog LinkedIn
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Thumper_34
Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59
Location: New York
Default

I think its wonderful they are doing a mentor program. I think there needs to be more women and a mostly male dominated market. Maybe then more women would like to play games. It just seems like everything is slanted towards the men.
Everyone needs someone to look up to, heck, thats how I stay motivated is by looking at other peoples artwork and going wow.... I want to be that good someday.
Thumper_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
irishlostboy
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10
Location: Ireland
Default

and are you saying men only look up to men, and women only look up to women? well who is being sexist then? lol.
creating "woman only" advantages is only going to create a sense of a two tier spilt in any industry. any girl who goes into an industry will be viewed (and rightly so) as not having put her own work in, and having gotten to where she is through privilege. and where will that leave the few women who genuinely put the work in, genuinely want to work in the industry? will they be tarred with the same brush? i hope not.

policies like this "female only" mentoring, only serve to force a divide between the sexes, which left alone would probably heal completely as the older generation dies off.
also, how is it harder for women to get into games development? why would a person need or deserve the extra help just because they are burdened with a vagina? why can i NOT avail of such a service, simply because i have a penis?
not only are such policies morally wrong, but they are also, technically, legally wrong in most countries,(sexual discrimination/social exclusion) and as such should be sued with the same vigour as it would be if a "male only" type project was started.

it is my view, and the view of many, that men are tired of being bullied and insulted by "feminism" for no good reason then for spite and for power. and it is the view of a lot women, that feminism is, in this day and age, an embarasment. women in times past wanted sexual equality. now they have it. they have ALL the rights. they can even piss standing up if they want to
http://www.shewee.com/
but when will the minority who consider themselves "feminists" take on the RESPONSIBILITY of equality. the responsibility to do things the hard way when you have to. to compete on a truely level playing field of their prefered industry. to treat all humans as just that.

the games industry is a new one, formed well after the sexual revolution. its free from sexual, racial etc. discrimination. it is an insanely tough industry where hiring and firing is done based on whether you can do your job.
institutions which force a segregatory divide are not helpful, or welcome.
femal only grants in college. female only mentoring. preffered hiring of females in any role that does not have empirical evidence showing why a woman is more suited to the role, is not welcome.

the alternitive is an unavoidable return to sexual discrimination.

(note; my use of the term "feminist" is to describe a particular person-type. a female bully who uses the fact that she is a woman as a weapon against men and as a tool of unfair and unjust power for her own advancment. in essence a sexual reverse of the stereo-typical "male schovonist pig". if this is not what you think should be labeled feminist, feel free to change it to your personal equivalent)
__________________
my free game assets and tutorials; http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy
irishlostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
xelalehpots
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_34 View Post
I think there needs to be more women and a mostly male dominated market. Maybe then more women would like to play games. It just seems like everything is slanted towards the men.
First, where have you been the past five years? Do you know how many women are in the games industry? It's no longer dominated by men.

Second, I agree with everyone here. Sexism toward women (especially in the games industry) is gone. In-fact, if anything it's reversed. It could be said that it is much easier for woman to get in than males if only for the fact that game company's do not want to look sexist.

Last edited by xelalehpots : 12-04-2007 at 10:58 AM.
xelalehpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Location: New York
Default Male/Female statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelalehpots View Post
First, where have you been the past five years? Do you know how many women are in the games industry? It's no longer dominated by men.
According to the 2007 Game Developer Salary Survey, the video game development industry comprises about 90 percent men and 10 percent women; this statistic includes marketing and PR jobs and is international. It is roughly the same (90/10) in North America.

I believe the last IGDA report on gender representation put the North American figure slightly higher for females at about 12 percent.
__________________
-jillduffy
jillduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
xelalehpots
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
According to the 2007 Game Developer Salary Survey, the video game development industry comprises about 90 percent men and 10 percent women; this statistic includes marketing and PR jobs and is international. It is roughly the same (90/10) in North America.

I believe the last IGDA report on gender representation put the North American figure slightly higher for females at about 12 percent.
That's shocking. I've seen a lot more women in the industry the past few years. I would have figured it to be WAY beyond that number.
xelalehpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:09 AM   #10
irishlostboy
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10
Location: Ireland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
According to the 2007 Game Developer Salary Survey, the video game development industry comprises about 90 percent men and 10 percent women; this statistic includes marketing and PR jobs and is international. It is roughly the same (90/10) in North America.

I believe the last IGDA report on gender representation put the North American figure slightly higher for females at about 12 percent.
ya, and what is your point? what is the percentage of women to men in secretarial positions? how about childcare? do you think i can get extra assistance in getting into childcare?
yes, there are more men in the games industry "because they are the ones that want to do it". girls would be welcomed into the industry with open arms, "if they wanted to do it", but there is no need to push a sexual divide where there isn't one. you know, there is no reason why every job should have 50/50 balance of gender, in fact there are plenty of reasons why there should be an asymmetric balance. ultimately, if everyone just went and put their work in, and got the job they wanted, fairly, there would be no problem.

just because there are more men than women in an industry, does not mean it is "male dominated". you know, there is not a league of men sitting around scheming against women. funnily enough there IS a league of women sitting around scheming against men! and to some, this is ok!
__________________
my free game assets and tutorials; http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy
irishlostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:52 AM.






UBM Tech