Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
tristero

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Resumes only? What could this mean?

I'm about to apply for a job, but their web site states specifically "resumes only". Does this mean that it would be bad form to send a cover letter? I wasn't clear if "resumes only" meant literally sending just a resume with no explanation whatsoever, or if "resumes only" really meant "please don't send us reels or demos".

I tried calling their HR department for clarification, but could never get through to anyone.

What's the safest way to play this? I'd love to send a cover letter, because I think I'm good at writing them and it seems rude to just send a resume by itself. On the other hand, I don't want to break the one rule they've set forth. Any guidance or recommendations? Thanks for your input!
tristero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristero View Post
I'm about to apply for a job, but their web site states specifically "resumes only". Does this mean that it would be bad form to send a cover letter? I wasn't clear if "resumes only" meant literally sending just a resume with no explanation whatsoever, or if "resumes only" really meant "please don't send us reels or demos".

I tried calling their HR department for clarification, but could never get through to anyone.

What's the safest way to play this? I'd love to send a cover letter, because I think I'm good at writing them and it seems rude to just send a resume by itself. On the other hand, I don't want to break the one rule they've set forth. Any guidance or recommendations? Thanks for your input!
If the application is being done via email, then personally I would put the contents of my cover letter in the body of the email. If not, then I would adapt the resume to clarify what you are applying for.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
mdzitter

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss66

Adrir is right, you should include a cover letter in the body of the email you send to the company with your resume attached.

A cover letter is pretty standard, and many companies (from what I understand) assume a cover letter will be provided when you submit a resume.
mdzitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #4
kate88
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Advice

I think You should send resume because the company has mentioned it in add. Personally find cover letter more standard but you must follow what company is asking for. Best of luck!!!!!
kate88 is offline   Reply With Quote