Get the latest Education e-news

Old 07-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Toxicskills

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Fullsail?

I just got some information about fullsail university. It looks awesome but is it too good to be true. I would go there for game design or game developement. If anyone knows about the school. Please tell me if it is good and worth my money.
Toxicskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Hello I attended Full Sail and have written a few articles about it 1

Also there are posts in my blog below. If you have anymore questions let me know.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Germnation

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Hi Gshonk thanks for the articles on Full Sail. I've been looking up on Full Sail and your articles seem very well detailed however I was wondering if you or anyone else would have any input on their Game Art Degree that they just put out not to long ago (If Iam not mistaken). Any input would be great thank you.
Germnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Honestly I have no idea about this degree, though I am assuming it is a branch of the Computer Animation course with more of a focus on games (as apposed to film like it was before). I know that the Computer Animation degree is pretty respected in the entertainment industry.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Mallaien

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Last time I looked I thought the cost was about $50K, but seems like the cost is really taking leaps out there if the guy in the article is paying about $65K. Then there is something I read on other postings that hint that entry level pay is around $45K that's not too bad, but who would want to be burdened under that debit load? I have been out of college for a while and my loan is finally under $1K but back then a semester was about $4K

At these rates a person will be in debt for life. Car, house, and student loan....
Mallaien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Germnation

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Talking

Yea it is pricey and that is the biggest thing in my way. Iam in the orlando area and have been looking for a Good Art School to go to. I've been on and off school for God knows how long switching majors till I realised that what I've been doing in class (doodling/drawing) is what I want to do as a career all this time. I'am getting married soon to a wonderful person who will be supporting me as I leave my job to pursue school full time. I'am willing/ready to work for it, I just want to make the right choice. Sorry for the long post but any suggestions
Old 07-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #7
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142

Germnation, congrats on getting married! Since you asked for suggestions, I'll give one you might not expect: Put your spouse first! As a newlywed myself, I know the stress that can be caused by spending too much time on other pursuits (game dev in my case) but your spouse should take first place and know it. Your first year of marriage is incredibly important, so make sure you don't place more emphasis on your studies than this wonderful person supporting you God bless and good luck!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Dreamscape

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

thats some good advice there JW,Ill be married 2 years october 31st and thank god for her support in me going to school full time.

What you should really do is sit down with her and go over your finances with a fine tooth comb.Make a financial plan with her and see what you can do realistically(sp?).If you dont see it in your budget to pay your bills and full sail while still putting that extra 50.00 a month for date night (VERY important to plan for things like that because if you spend the entire 21 months doing nothing but school you may find your supportive wife getting bitter...trust me :P ) then chances are you shouldnt go to full sail.you may find you can go to a community college then go to a 4 year school as a better more affordable option which will help you and her in the long run with loan repayment etc.
Explore your options with your spouse,decide together and good luck!
Dreamscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Germnation

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thanks you Jwalters and Dreamscape that IS great advice. My fiancee and I have been talking about it for sometime now,she knows how misarable I am at my work and she really wants me to go through with it. Its amazing how supportive she is. We will definitely sit down, pray, and look at our budget plan (She's an accountant after all :P) so if she says we can get by (with some extra cash to take her out) then we'll do it but this is something that my fiancee and I will have to pray about! .

Thanks again for the advise

P.S. Congrats Dreamscape on comming up on the 2 year mark.

Last edited by Germnation : 07-27-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
ndimucci

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

I think the only thing that matters in regards to Full Sail, or any other game school, is how many of the graduates are actually working in the industry. To go in even further, what was their entry job title.