Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Other/Off-Topic
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
sinofhearts

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

I wasn't meaning to be harsh. I was stating that college is rough even when going for one program.

However, I do agree that, yes, going to game design school is good and well, but going beyond that is so much better. I completely agree with what's being said that being more educated in more than one area is better than just being educated in game design.
sinofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
sinofhearts

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
You guys are being a bit hard on her. She does bring up a good point that game develpers themselves have raised:

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...dvantages_.php
Actually, I have to fully agree with this post. Today I figured, rather than trying to take on the industry with just 1 degree, why not go after it with several for a better chance at landing a job later down the line? So I have to say, that was a really good post, and it made a really big point. Kudos!
sinofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
nightblue

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss19

I'm a young-ish female attending a graduate level game school that advertises itself as a boot camp for the game industry. I was told by every professor and senior student how hard the program was prior to attending the school. Here's my 2-bits, literally:

1. I consider the toughness a good thing. I have attended my share of art classes where professors praised your work, let you advance at whatever pace you choose, gave you little guidance, and handed out A's unless you missed half of the classes. Do I want that for the huge chunk of cash I paid and the potential year-and-half of my life? The professors at the game school could have taken the easy way out, doing the bare minimum without trying to fit as much into the short amount of time as they can. I sincerely admire and appreciate them for putting in so much effort to make the program worthwhile. They are not out here to crush you or tormenting you. The schedule does get overwhelming at times, and the crunch mode is pretty much constantly on, but essentially if you just want to do the bare minimum and manage your time well you should not have much of a problem. Most of the stress I'm experiencing is added by myself because I want to do more. This may all come down to how badly you want something, and how much you want to improve yourself.

2. I searched and failed to see why you specially mentioned the school you attended catered more to young males, other than probably the hairstyle part. The school is damaging to social life because it's very time-consuming, but then we come to the trade-off thing. The way I look at it is my real friends would want to see me achieve my dreams, and a year or two of not partying together would not terminate friendships or relationships (I have a long-term boyfriend who is extremely supportive.) I apologize if I sound harsh to the article, but as a female who knows herself as every bit as good as a male, it's a bit upsetting to see an argument that basically boils down to "school is tough on social life and therefore is more suitable for boys".

That's my rant. I again apologize if I sounded like a crazy fanatic, but the four months I've spent so far at my game school is the most motivative and productive 4 months in my life.
nightblue is offline   Reply With Quote