Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Dúnadan

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default An Initiation in Game Development

Hi. My name is Ezequiel, I'm 15 years old and I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
First of all, I want to say that this site is excellent. I really like it.

Since I was a child, I always loved computers, and especially gaming. So when I travelled to Germany I met this guy who worked as a programmer and said me that in the university he worked in (the University of Heidelberg, as I understand), there they were developing a new master in games. I got quite excited, I researched a little bit and said "Ok, I will be a game programmer!".

But now, one year later, I'm thinking about it again, and I'm not sure. I have never really started researching about it.

As for what part of game building I like, I'm not sure. I like art, programming and design. As for writing, I like it too, but I would rather study something else and write by my own, I have no problems with that.
If I could study all of it I would, I really like all of the parts of game development. But I guess that I have to choose one.

So I need to decide what am I going to do. I think game design is the one I most like, but I read that it’s difficult to start as a game designer, so I think I will start as a programmer.

How is math in programming?
It’s not that I have problems with math, I can handle it, but I don’t exactly like it, I don’t enjoy it, I just do it when I have to.
Do you have to like math to study game programmation?

Anyway: I heard that lots of people start programming as a teenager and I know nothing about it. So I should start, what should I learn first? Should I learn online, buy a book, take a course, or what?

As for college and universities, I’m not sure, but I guess it will change over the years. I was thinking that since I’m also an European Union citizen I could study in Europe (I know that England and Germany have good game schools), but I haven’t decided that yet and I have time. And honestly, I wouldn’t like to leave my house at 18, I want to stay with my family a little bit more.
What I know for certain is that there’s not a game related college in Buenos Aires, thus if I want to study that I would need to move for a couple of years to study outside.
What is the closest career for game development from the regular ones? Software Engineering? Computer science?

I also read in the Getting Started section that modding is a good start. I did mod for some games some time ago, should I keep modding now?
Some mods are even nominated by game enterprises as Bethesda Softworks…
Does a successful mod, even if not nominated, count for the portfolio?

Thanks for your attention. I appreciate it.

Ezequiel
Dúnadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Master-Blaster

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Hi Ezequiel, I'm also from Argentina and just made my first post too, you can see it here:
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forum...p?t=16&page=35

There is a private institute that has a Game Development career (Image Campus) but from what I heard, it's quite expensive and not so good.
What I recommend you is to study Computer Science (I live in La Plata, so I'm studying Licenciatura en Informatica at UNLP). That will give you a great base of knowledge, over of which you will have to learn by yourself the specifics of Game Programming.

I hope that helped, probably more experienced people will give you better advice.
Master-Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

Q. What is the closest career for game development from the regular ones? Software Engineering? Computer science?
A. Either will be fine. CS is generally more theory based whereas SE is generally more practical.

Q. I also read in the Getting Started section that modding is a good start. I did mod for some games some time ago, should I keep modding now?
A. You can do. It isn't necessary though.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Dúnadan

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Ok, thanks both of you for the replies.

Master-Blaster: La verdad no pense que iba a encontrar a un Argentino en este foro. Más tarde podemos hablar.
Dúnadan is offline   Reply With Quote