Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
I have been experimenting with changing weapons mid-game, but have been largely unsuccessful. The general concensus on the boards and fora are that changing weapons live (i.e. without respawning) is impossible. I'm starting to believe they are right...
Ask the guys over at AIX; that's a mod that I play. I'm pretty sure you can change your kit at certain locations by selecting objects (like when you swap kit when another player is killed).
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Thanks for the tip! I'll ask around there.
Yes, swapping kits is pretty much what I want, but I want it to be activated after a certain in-game event, not simply through player input.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Unfortunately, the AIX forum is down, and seeing how little activity there has been on their front page recently, I doubt it's coming back soon. So no luck there.
Other bad news—in an attempt to get some things working I read about on fora, I installed the latest patch. However, this caused everything I had working so far, to stop working. No idea what's going on... It's almost like the latest version (1.41) doesn't support python scripts anymore. Can't find anything on this on the boards, so I'm probably mistaken...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Can't find anything on this on the boards, so I'm probably mistaken...
I was mistaken!
Turns out experimenting with the BF Editor had caused some foldernames in the mod subdirectory to be capitalized. Although this shouldn't be much of a problem, it was! What I think happened, is that the game couldn't find the Python files, but it doesn't need them anyway, so silently continued.
As none of this is documented, the info I am posting here might prove useful to someone else in the future. It also might not!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 AM   #15
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Daily mod update!
I had some pretty interesting results recently, and a disappointing discovery.
I'm now able to spawn a weapon kit at the position of a soldier. This allows the soldier to pick up the kit with a single action/key press. Cool! Unfortunately, I can't force the soldier to perform this action. I tried to get around this by letting Python emulate a keyboard key press, but I can't use the ctypes module from within BF2's pruned Python engine. Balls.
(Note that even if this had worked, I could've only gotten it working in a single player game, as I can't emulate a key press on another player's machine. Imagine the security risks if I could though! )
So, I'm a little out of ideas right now. Guess I'll go do some more research. Until next time!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #16
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

You know how people say that just when you are about to give up, you're usually very close to succeeding? Yeah, well eff that. I'm giving up.
I should have seen the writings on the wall (board, forum, whatever) really.

Quote:
[Is it] possible to change a player's kit in-game via python?

DICE comments: Unfortunately not. The kit drop/pickup is triggered in the engine and not exposed to python currently
I came across that little doozy multiple times during my quest, but I was stubborn. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. Wait... What?

Anyway, so that's it! No more BF2/BF2142 modding for me! I still believe my mod idea is brilliant so I might try again in the future with another game, but for now, I bid you all adieu!

CASE CLOSED
Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #17
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

You know that crime show with that hot little blond number that goes around solving cases that have gone cold? (Can't remember the show's name.) Well, this is like that! I'm re-opening this case!

It IS possible to change kits live, on the fly. It just sucks! That's all!
You can use the player.pickup command to add certain items, but when you try to exit the game, it crashes. The big problem remaining though, is removing items. On this subject, there is zero information, not even broken experimental stuff. You can remove items statically, by editing the game's config files, but live removal... that's a mystery. Wrapped in an enigma, perhaps.