Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
WeTheTwisted

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default The Community Representative/Manager

I don't know why, but when ever I see posts from people that are part of the company a game is from, it's like seeing that someone from the magical land where games are made is listening to the people.

Being there for the player and such, it seems like a very rewarding experience.

Making sure the customer is happy and informed.

Using a career page of one of the main MMO games on the market (if you're going to scout what Community Managers are all about, then I guess you can't go too wrong looking at the game community behemoth that is the MMO market), it seems that it's all about customer service and a drive to enquire with departments about user queries and skills relating to quality enforcing of these talents.

A plus they list is to have membership on a fan site as well as the usual solid knowledge of respective games and excellent written/verbal communication in X language.

So with these basic elements of community representation defined, would strengthening my skillset to become such a person one day basically revolve around a vivid understanding of customer service skills and experience being involved with fan communities?

I question just exactly what aspect of being involved with a fan community they'd like to see, perhaps general help of users and such mixed in with some game related announcements?

Just seems like the Community Representative/Manager positions are key roles in keeping gamers happy which don't have too much information about them.
WeTheTwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Amazing

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I am a community manager for an MMO. I recommend you read everything in this article:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...nt_.php?page=1
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
WeTheTwisted

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

As silly as I probably look for not checking Gamasutra, I thank you for the link From a quick over-view it looks very informative so I shall commence reading it now.
WeTheTwisted is offline   Reply With Quote