()
Hehe, Of course not, i can't go forgetting Halo can I?n
Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #22
Chalupa

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

My favorites are definitely Platformers and Fighting games.

Theirs definitely a lack of good platformers nowadays but wow, Mario Galaxy by itself could have made up for that.

Also looking very much forward to street fighter 4.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #23
Roman

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Either RPG's with a really good, involving story (Love KOTOR ) or strategies (Total War). MMO's come to mind too...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #24
davidstyen
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I love playing mission type games like Counter strike, Hitman, project IGI.
Also the San Andreas version of GTA is nice.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #25
Super3dcow

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I would say RPGs are a favorite for me. Some of the stories in RPGs are just so good! Earthbound for example. If I become a game designer someday I want to remake that game, somehow.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #26
Eagle.S

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

I personally LOVE a good story. I loved God of War and Half Life 2 so much so I wrote a paper on it for my psych class. The games I enjoy the most are MMOs though. As nerdy as it sound I enjoy taking on the role of a character inside of a beautiful story.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #27
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle.S View Post
I personally LOVE a good story. I loved God of War and Half Life 2 so much so I wrote a paper on it for my psych class. The games I enjoy the most are MMOs though. As nerdy as it sound I enjoy taking on the role of a character inside of a beautiful story.
There was a really interesting paper presented by Doris Rusch at the DiGRA Conference this week. It involved God of War and how it related to the human condition (our emotional palettes; put simply) through fictional alignment - a "Mechanisms of the Soul".

It looks like an epic title - I really need to find the time to play it. The HL series is also very awesome!
Old 09-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #28
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

I find it interesting to see the absence of sport-related games and driving games from peoples favorites, I wonder if there is a reason for this? Do people who are serious about MAKING games as well as playing them find themselves put off by sports and racing titles? Why is this? I myself am not really into sport games either. I prefer Action/Adventure, Platformer, Stealth and RPG's. My favorite games include Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy and of course Mario, but who doesn't like Mario?

But seriously, why has no one mentioned sport on here is there a correlation between designers not liking them? It would be interesting to see what people say on this.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #29
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Stu View Post
But seriously, why has no one mentioned sport on here is there a correlation between designers not liking them? It would be interesting to see what people say on this.
Interesting point. My hypothesis is that the majority of the games people list as favorites have fairly well fleshed out narrative and universe that isn't found in most sports/racing games. While extensively detailed worlds and backstories don't belong in every game, they do provide more fodder to think about and critique, which is likely to attract more aspiring game designers. To support my case, no one has mentioned Tetris or Bejeweled either.
Closed Thread