Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Gamer_Girl19
De-Registered User

Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssssssss
Default Game Career Advice Please :)

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this community and I'm in dire need of some advice .

My one and only addiction is video games. And I figure I would like a career in something I love, games. I just am not sure what path to take. I love writing. I love sales. I sell cell phones right now and have been in sales for the past three years with electronics. I am not creative at all so that right now knocks out all artsy stuff..

I saw the previous post regarding writing in gaming. It sounds awfully hard to get a career in gaming through writing. But what about writing game reviews? Any advice wouldbe appreciated ! Even if it is just advice on how to find something or other websites to research. Thank you all so much!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

You need to find out what you want to do in the games industry. Do you want to write about them? Do PR? Write storylines for them? etc?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
arcadeninja

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

No offense but it seems like you contradicted yourself a touch there because you have to be creative in order to write a story that someone will want to play through.
From what I understand it's quite difficult to get a creative writing job in almost any medium that requires it, wither that be novels, movies, TV scripts, comic books, or video games. Take a step back for a second and imagine if you were a video game writer right now. What do you think would be expected of you? You'd have to come up with a story, plot points, characters, climaxes, dialog, and all the things that compose the narrative. If thatís something you think you'd enjoy doing then go for it.
If you're more interested in the idea and functions the game itself rather than the story behind it then perhaps game journalism is your ticket. You'd get to analyze it, break it down, write what you think is good (and bad) about it, all while voicing your own opinion. Also as a member of the gaming press youíd get a first person view of the industry as a whole and where itís headed before anyone else.
arcadeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Eagle.S

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

You dont necessarily have to be creative to write. There is also informative writing but generally the video game feild requires it. There is also a great passage about creativity in a text book I have for class. The book is the Sundance Writer I believe but I left it in the car and its almost 2am so..yeah. Also a requirement for being a video game tester is Writing about the game. The level of creativity you need goes as far as your opinion. And what do you mean by "creative". You might be suprised how creative you are.
Eagle.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeninja View Post
No offense but it seems like you contradicted yourself a touch there because you have to be creative in order to write a story that someone will want to play through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle.S View Post
You dont necessarily have to be creative to write.
Eagle is correct. Writing a critique or review of a game, as well as various forms of journalism, do not require a demanding level of creativity. Not all writing involves crafting narrative.

It sounds to me that this is the direction that Gamer_Girl might like to go in.