Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53
Default Top 5 favorite/best Video Games

I figured I would post this to see what some of you thought about my writing skills, and to start a thread that would maybe last a while. This is my list of what I consider to be the 5 best games (or at least my favorite) of all time.
So to get to the point, I am by no means actually saying that I think that these 5 video games are actually the best 5 video games of all time because every person is different and everyone likes different things. But these are the 5 games that have affected who I am as a gamer the most. I will of course argue that any intelligent and true gamer won't be able to deny that these are 5 GREAT games and should be considered among the best. Now that everyone hopefully understands what I'm talking about and where I am coming from, let's get started.

At number 5

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Ocarina of Time)

Most people would say of course that Ocarina of time is the best of the Zelda series and possibly even the best game ever, and I'm not arguing that point at all. Thanks to a friend of mine, I was introduced to Ocarina of time, but i was unfortunately never able to finish the game, so I can't actually say that it is one of the 5 best games ever. So in honor of Ocarina of time, I chose A Link to the Past because it is my favorite of the Zelda series and I would still consider it one of the best games of all time. So in a sense you could use either game interchangeably. A Link to the Past is a good example of classic gaming which combines problem solving (puzzles) and RPG elements making for a great all-around game. They also make excellent use of the SNES graphics by making a beautiful 2D gaming experience.

At number 4

Resident Evil 2

I chose this game in the number 4 spot because I can’t think of a game that I have played and beat more often than Resident Evil 2. Granted it is a short game, but the fact that I (and many others) come back to this game time after time must say something about its quality. The Resident Evil story line is captivating and Resident Evil 2’s storyline is a large part of the entire picture. The gameplay is addictive and the quality is above average, and there is no feeling quite like when you enter a hall loaded with zombies who steadily begin to creep towards you. The sound is great and really solidifies to the overall mood of the game. This is a short game that you should definitely at least borrow if not own.

At number 3

Pokemon (Red, Blue, Yellow)

Ok, so I know that at this point, most of you would consider me “Super-dork”, but that’s ok, because if playing Pokemon classifies me as “Super-dork” then I will gladly take the title. This is a game that really helped usher in a new age of gamers. Kids who played this in Elementary school and middle school are the same people who are 20-25 right now and make up the majority of gamers. Pokemon does a great job of allowing the gamer to have customizable gameplay, which is something that many gamers require in their games today. Pokemon was actually a little before its time, especially for a gameboy game. You usually didn’t see a game with so many characters and attacks, and Pokemon gave us a lot of game packed into such a little box. It’s hard to forget the feeling of getting your first pokemon and leveling them up for the first time. Or seeing your pokemon begin to evolve and having to make a split second decision of whether to let him evolve or wait a few more levels. I hope that you will look past the “childishness” of this game and give it a try.

At number 2

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Once again I’ve posted another great RPG in my top 5 list. If you haven’t seen this game in action then I suggest that you stop reading this (for now) and go to youtube and find a gameplay video of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and sit back and enjoy. This game is beautifully put together, visually and conceptually. I can’t think of many games that can beat Oblivion’s graphics, vastness, or match its hours of game play. I personally love a game that I can spend a lot of time playing and get my money’s worth out of it, Oblivion does exactly this and more. I have had this game for almost a year and I have put over 100 hours into the game and I still haven’t completed every quest in the game, and I’m not even halfway through the mainline quest, and the great thing is, I’m still not bored with it. The character customization aspect of the game makes Oblivion what it is. The fact that you can customize your characters looks, fighting style, and skills makes the game very replayable because each time you can have a new experience. The maps are huge and it would probably take you a solid 30 min.+ just to walk across the map in a straight line, and still at that point you’ve probably only seen 2% of the map. The Elder Scrolls IV is a must-own game, but I understand that it’s not for everyone. I would suggest borrowing or renting and seeing if you like it. Even if it’s not your style of game play, I believe that you will at least enjoy its visual aesthetics.

And finally…at number 1

Final Fantasy VII

So I have to go ahead and give props to the person that introduced me to this game (not that I hadn’t heard of this game before, I had just never had a desire to play it). Thank you so much Jay Seawell for introducing me to this game! I credit this game to changing my perspective of gaming entirely. I can’t think of a better storyline in all of gaming, and it still rivals some of the better novels out there. The storyline is completely captivating and once the game is over it leaves you wanting more. While the visuals aren’t exactly top notch, due to the fact that it was released on the PlayStation 1, it still makes for a great game for today’s “next-gen” gaming generation. Final Fantasy VII also has something called the “materia” system which is one of the best gaming concepts that I have ever run into. It basically allows you to fully customize your attacks and fighting style. The music is unbeatable, and it is still popular today because they have symphonies that play the final fantasy music live, and CDs are still being sold.
Simply put, Final Fantasy VII is a legacy, and it is the greatest game of all time. I would bet that you can’t play the game and not get hooked in some part of it. The fact that there have been other games made that “spin-off” of the final fantasy VII story, and the fact that a CG movie has been recently released based on Final Fantasy VII shows that it is in fact a legacy. I urge you to play Final Fantasy VII, it is the game that took me from being a casual gamer to a “hardcore” gamer, and I think that it will make a difference in how you view video games as well.

Honorable Mentions

These are the games that didn’t quite make it into the top of the list because they just weren’t as good to me as my top 5. These games are all great and you would probably put some of them in your top 5 but they just didn’t quite make it for me. Feel free to message me with arguments. Keep in mind that this is not an all inclusive list, mostly just ones that I could think of.

Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario Galaxy
Gran Turismo 2
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Halo 2 – obviously Halo 3 is better than Halo 2, mostly because of the Mythic Map Pack that was recently released, but Halo 2 changed the face of multiplayer online gaming and it should get some credit for it.
Tiger Woods – I added this game in here for all of you sports fans. I’m not a big fan of sports games, but if I had to pick a good one, it would be Tiger Woods PGA Tour.
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XII
Tomb Raider II
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid

Games that I can’t really can’t have an opinion on

This section is for games that I have heard over the years that are really good but I can’t put into my lists because I have never played them. Once again this is not an all inclusive list but just a few of the games that popped into my head…feel free to add some.

Half Life 2
GoldenEye
Metal Gear 2+ - I hear that Metal Gear Solid 2 is better than Metal Gear Solid, but I never finished the game. This “Metal Gear +2” is added just to pay respects to one of the greatest game series of all time.
StarCraft
Baldur’s Gate (series)
Diablo (series)

Well, that’s all. I hope that you all enjoyed my list and I hope that you will try these games out. I did this list to practice some of my writing skills and give you all some food for thought, and hopefully maybe get some debates going. If you don’t like video games and you read this, then I hope you will try video games soon, maybe these will get you more interested. Thanks for reading. POST YOUR OPINION!

Last edited by JohnsonM : 09-15-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

My OPINION is that you are a fool for not including (heck, not even honorably mentioning!) Super Mario 64. FAIL.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
My OPINION is that you are a fool for not including (heck, not even honorably mentioning!) Super Mario 64. FAIL.
How kind of you to be so negative Protector.

I don't mind admitting that I may have forgotten to mention some things, but I never had a 64 so I actually never played anything on Mario 64 past the first couple of levels. I know it's a good game, but I don't have a personal opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Monkeh

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

I always found Mario 64 to be tedious. It was definitely before they figured out how to really handle good 3D camera work. Mario Kart, Smash Bros and OOT definitely surpassed Mario 64 in terms of quality for Nintendo franchise N64 games.

Johnson, I suggest you pick up the Orange Box (for whichever platform you have, or preferably on PC) and play Halflife 2 + episodes, and Portal as well.

I have to say you have a pretty nice list going. Heck, I worked on two of the games you mentioned.

It seems as though you came onto the scene around when the N64/Playstation was popular. I'll list a few Super Nintendo games that you may like:

Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island (the first one, not the crappy N64 one)
Final Fantasy 3 (Japanese 6) - I personally like it more than FF7, although each has their own qualities. 9 is pretty good too.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Quote:
I hear that Metal Gear Solid 2 is better than Metal Gear Solid, but I never finished the game
I would have to disagree. Being a die hard Metal Gear Solid fan, I have to say that the strongest games of the series are probably the original Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. I'm sure many people will have their own opinions, but those are the two that I feel have the best story/gameplay/epic boss battles etc. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was the first of the series that I played and I agree that 'visually' it is better than Metal Gear Solid, but it doesn't beat it in terms of boss fights (Mantis and Grey Fox), story etc. Plus there's the whole Raiden thing.

Quote:
my OPINION is that you are a fool for not including (heck, not even honorably mentioning!) Super Mario 64

I have to say I believe that Super Mario 64 is slightly over-rated, but I will admit that it paved the way for 3D platform games and without it we wouldn't have some of the great games that we have today, but I was under ten years old when I first played it, so maybe I should play it again and give it another go, as after the Bowser boss fight I lost interest. (Mario Galaxy on the other hand, that's a bloody great game). I think that there were better 3D platform games for the N64, I loved games from RARE like Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 54, they were awesome.

I couldn't think of a top five but I have games that I think are great-

Metal Gear Solid (Series)

strongest of the series: Metal Gear Solid & Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Mario (Series)

strongest of the series: Super Mario Bros. 3 & Super Mario Galaxy

God of War (Series)

There are others, but I could take all day thinking of games that I love, I agree with some already said such as Pokemon, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend of Zelda, GTA, Final Fantasy (although I would say X is better than XII as I prefer turn based RPGs & I never played VII, but I really need to as everyone says how good it is).

I also thought the recent Batman: Arkham Asylum was a great game, as I am an avid Batfan, but I thought that what let it down was the boss fights, they had the opportunity to create some really epic rememberable boss fights, but alas.

lets get a good discussion going here, I'd like to see if we could all agree on what should be in THE top 5 games of all time...
Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeh View Post
Johnson, I suggest you pick up the Orange Box (for whichever platform you have, or preferably on PC) and play Halflife 2 + episodes, and Portal as well.

I have to say you have a pretty nice list going. Heck, I worked on two of the games you mentioned.

It seems as though you came onto the scene around when the N64/Playstation was popular. I'll list a few Super Nintendo games that you may like:
I actually have Orange Box and I have played Portal, it is a GREAT puzzle game! I unfortunately haven't played any of the rest of the game yet. I picked up Mass Effect and then Bioshock, and right now I just can't pry myself away from Bioshock...then of course there's Castle Crashers.

WOW...what two games did you work on? And thanks for complimenting my list.

I started gaming more heavily around the PlayStation era. I do have a Super Nintendo, but my parents didn't buy a whole lot of games, and the best games I had were A Link to the Past, Mega Man X, and Super Mario All-Stars. Then when the PlayStation came around I really started getting into gaming. I have never really played N64, so I don't have too much of an opinion of the games on that system. I felt that the 64 had good games, but not enough to justify going out and buying a system; kind of like how the PS3 is now. Oh, and thanks for the list of games.

And I agree with Tenacious about trying to come up with a top 5 list we can all agree with. So start by posting your 5. We could also consider starting by posting top 5 per system.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Stu View Post
I would have to disagree. Being a die hard Metal Gear Solid fan, I have to say that the strongest games of the series are probably the original Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. I'm sure many people will have their own opinions, but those are the two that I feel have the best story/gameplay/epic boss battles etc. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was the first of the series that I played and I agree that 'visually' it is better than Metal Gear Solid, but it doesn't beat it in terms of boss fights (Mantis and Grey Fox), story etc. Plus there's the whole Raiden thing.
While the story was pretty sweet in 3 and the boss battles were awesome. The game itself was pretty boring and had one of the worst menu systems I have ever seen. I mean having to change all of the camo every time you moved 10ft was very tedious. BUT as we said this is just our opinions in my opinion 2 was my favorite and the best even with the Raiden stuff
Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonM View Post
How kind of you to be so negative Protector.
Well I'm sorry, but I just can't take a 'best games' list that doesn't include a single Mario game seriously.

Last edited by Protector one : 09-16-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Well I'm sorry, but I just can't take a 'best games' list that doesn't include a single Mario game serious.
Ok...well I will Edit the list a little, because I can agree with you. There isn't a single Mario game that I would put into MY top 5 list, but either Mario 3 or Super Mario Galaxy would make it into a top 15 at least...possibly a top ten. I guess those games just slipped my mind.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Quote:
While the story was pretty sweet in 3 and the boss battles were awesome. The game itself was pretty boring and had one of the worst menu systems I have ever seen. I mean having to change all of the camo every time you moved 10ft was very tedious. BUT as we said this is just our opinions in my opinion 2 was my favorite and the best even with the Raiden stuff
I will completely agree with you about the menu system in MGS3, and curing yourself??? My god, that got old fast, every time you got a wound- Suture Kit, Styptic, Disinfectant, Bandage. I know it of by heart I did it that many times. I think gameplay-wise 2 was very good (I loved hunting for bombs, locating Ames, disguising as the enemy, etc..) but the story/characters didn't do the series justice. I think if they created a MGS game with with Metal Gear Solids shorter cut-scenes, MGS2's gameplay, MGS3's story/bossfights and MGS4's weapons, graphics (locations maybe?) then that would be a great game.

Quote:
And I agree with Tenacious about trying to come up with a top 5 list we can all agree with. So start by posting your 5. We could also consider starting by posting top 5 per system.
Best games of all time? I think that as long as a Metal Gear Solid game gets in there I'm happy, but I think Mario needs a place in there though. Any other suggestions?

5 per system? SNES- Mario All Stars, Link to the Past, someone else want to add others? I'm not very good with full lists as I just can't decide what I think should get a spot
Closed Thread