Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Thank you for all of the advice guys, some nice portfolio pointers as well. I'll definitely suggest creating a board game or a card based game to my lecturer. Thanks again.
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #12
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Good luck. Remember, if you're having trouble convincing your professor / adviser on the merits of a board game (really, if you're in a Computer Game Design course, you shouldn't, but these things happen), remind them that at it's core, game design deals with rule-making, regardless of the medium. Games are fundamentally an organized set of rules that establish goals and limits on play; a board game is an excellent way to show this....

... and if that doesn't work, tell 'em the other option is a 3000 page design bible they will have to read in full. They'll come around quickly, I think, even if you don't mean it.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Try not to pitch your idea with the words, "Well they said it was a good idea."

You should do a bit of research into board games and how it transfers into digital games and figure out for yourself why designing board games is valuable.

Highschool is for regurgitation - college is for learning. Step into college mode.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

I mentioned the idea to my lecturer and I said that it would be good to take a look at the roots of Games and how the very core things about designing games would be learnt through designing a board game. He liked the idea however the design brief for the module states that we must use skills learnt on the course and learn skills that would benefit future modules.

In the end we decided that I will go ahead with my original Game Design Document idea, but that it will be a condensed version, and I will also create a prototype for the game using Unreal. This allows me to use skills that I have already learnt (Unreal) and develop on them so that it will be benefit me in year 3 when we will have to create an actual game. If I learn a lot of those skills now, then I should be ready to create something really good when it comes to doing my final project.

But this doesn't mean that I can't create/design a board game in my spare time. I have a few ideas that I might play around with and maybe create a prototype and get a few friends to test it for me.

Thanks for all the feedback though guys, its much appreciated
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote