Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
wouldyoukindly99

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Where to start making my first amateur game.

Hello, brand new member here and as the title suggests I would like to know if there are programs on the internet where I could star makig my own amateur games. On other sites I get the response of 'Notepad' a lot and if you're going to suggest that tell me how and what code I should use for it. I've been reffered to Game Maker 7.0, but my computer will not download it for some reason, and RPG maker but I can't affor the full version.

Thank you.
wouldyoukindly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

What experience/skills do you have? Can you program? Can you draw sprites or model 3D objects?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
wouldyoukindly99

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
What experience/skills do you have? Can you program? Can you draw sprites or model 3D objects?
I don't know programming but I plan to get a book on C++ or C# as soon as I have money, but until then I am a total newbie. I'm sure drawing sprites wouldn't be that hard considering I'm pretty proficient wth Photoshop; but 3D models are way out of my league.

I know I'm not giving you a whole lot to work with but I need to start somewhere.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldyoukindly99 View Post
Hello, brand new member here and as the title suggests I would like to know if there are programs on the internet where I could star makig my own amateur games. On other sites I get the response of 'Notepad' a lot
Yes, well. You've posted a Programming question in a Game Design forum. That's like asking about bookbinding in a novel-writing forum.
If you want to design your game, you do that with a program that lets you write stuff (that's what Notepad does).
If you want to create your game, that's more of a programming question (not a design question).

About design:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson14.htm

About making your own game:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Ezion

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

There's a lot of articles on starting amateur game development- what did you expect from us, exactly?

To help smooth over the transition from GUI to code for an absolute beginner, Game Maker is still a pretty good program. While the games aren't very fast, machine-wise, you can learn a lot of programming concepts when you start dipping into the code.

Perhaps you should try surmounting your computer problems and obtaining a copy of Game Maker 7. That will be one of your easier challenges as a programmer.

P.S.
You make it sound like you've asked this question a lot, so I'm going to give you a different answer; the best place to start making a game is where you are most motivated to start working on it.

Having the best platform in the world doesn't matter if you never make the thing.

Last edited by Ezion : 10-03-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Ezion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
SmithJ

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
I don't know programming but I plan to get a book on C++ or C# as soon as I have money, but until then I am a total newbie. I'm sure drawing sprites wouldn't be that hard considering I'm pretty proficient wth Photoshop; but 3D models are way out of my league.

I know I'm not giving you a whole lot to work with but I need to start somewhere.
As a fellow newbie and wannabe game designer, I found Beginning C++ Through Game Programming 2nd ed. by Michael Dawson to be a great starting place. Keep in mind this book is geared toward a basic introduction to C++ and not a book about game design. I am currently teaching myself ActionScript 3.0 for Flash and just finished my first game.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Ciry/four-sides

I found much of what I learned in the book mentioned above has been very helpful in learning / using ActionScript 3.0 even though it is a different programming language. Also, you can use CodeBlocks which you can get for free, to compile simple c++ programs as you are learning

As far as getting into designing I would first recommend going to Tom Slopers web site and taking a few days to read through it. If you can swallow his bitter pill and still wanna go for it, you've found something you really want to do... or your crazy

I'd also check out http://gamedesignconcepts.wordpress.com/
This blog was put together by Ian Schrieber over this past summer as a free online course in game design. The great thing was that he focused on non-digital design, meaning you didn't need to know any programming.

Hope some of this has helped. Last thing I'd say is don't expect anything overnight. It will definatly be a longggggggggggggggggggggggg road.
SmithJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

If you are only starting to do some 2D games, then GameMaker is your best bet at the moment so sorting out the problem with your PC is something you should do.

What is your end goal? To be a designer? Programmer? Artist?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
wouldyoukindly99

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
If you are only starting to do some 2D games, then GameMaker is your best bet at the moment so sorting out the problem with your PC is something you should do.

What is your end goal? To be a designer? Programmer? Artist?
Well I know it's not plausible to just go straight to lead game designer or creative director so I'm going to learn code and program my own games and work my way up from programming grunt to the higher positions. Even if I never get to the higher positions I'll be happy as long as I'm helping to make a good game in some way.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Well I know it's not plausible to just go straight to lead game designer or creative director so I'm going to learn code and program my own games and work my way up from programming grunt to the higher positions. Even if I never get to the higher positions I'll be happy as long as I'm helping to make a good game in some way.
If you looking to be a programmer in the industry then you need to eventually learn C++ well at some point. Whether you choose to start with C++ or an 'easier' language like Lua or Python is your choice.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Quote:
I would like to know if there are programs on the internet where I could star makig my own amateur games
If you are into 2D point 'n' click games at all (Like Monkey Island, etc...) Then I would suggest using the Adventure Games Studio software. It allows you to create your own point 'n' click games. You can design your own characters, locations, items and conversations. I discovered this site when trying to find my own way of creating games when I was around 16/17 and found the software easy to use. They also have a helpful community over there.

Adventure Game Studio
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote