Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
marvinhawkins

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16
Default re: Is Modding Useful?

Hey all,

I'm fresh out of college and am now a small fish in a huge pond (World). I hold an art degree in Game Art and Design. So I can draw, write, script and build levels etc. I've got the practical skill set but I currently lack a hard showcase of these skills. (I.E a game.) I am working of fixing this now. I recently read the article. Is Modding Useful? article. It made lots of good points. I want to eventually get to design and I'm making sure my personal projects show off those skills.

So the Question: My aim for now is to get into the game industry, most companies in my area make AAA console, character based action titles. If this is the case should I make a game that's in this vein? Or can any well designed, well run game project display the skills needed to become a big league game developer?

I ask because I'm trying to make things within a scope that I can complete, which is not necessarily a huge character based game.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
marvinhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1849

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinhawkins View Post
...I currently lack a hard showcase of these skills. (I.E a game.) I am working of fixing this now. I recently read the article. Is Modding Useful? article. It made lots of good points. I want to eventually get to design and I'm making sure my personal projects show off those skills.
... So the Question: My aim for now is to get into the game industry, most companies in my area make AAA console, character based action titles. If this is the case should I make a game that's in this vein?
You should build a portfolio that showcases what you're best at.
You should build stuff that you're passionate about, not stuff that you think will make the best appearance to some hypothetical future employer.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
marvinhawkins

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

Thanks for the advice Mr. Sloper but presenting a scenario:

I have a great RTS mod I've done for a modern engine, A stand alone game that is an isometric Shoot em up and a few FPS levels. If Studio A does Next Gen sports titles, what happens when they see sports game stuff?
marvinhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote