Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70
Default What More Should I Be Doing?

Hi Guys

I am currently in my second year at University studying a degree in Computer Games Design, however I feel as though this degree isn't helping me in ways that it could. I hear of other Universities were lecturers are ACTUAL ex-developers/designers, whereas at my Uni, I'm not even sure what qualifications the lecturers have, but it's certainly not in the games industry.

So far we have learnt about Level Editing and 3D Modeling and coding for small games using Macromedia Director, but my main ambition is to DESIGN for games... not model.

I currently managed to get a small part time volunteer job as a QA Technician at a local games company, I also have a job working in a Computer Games Shop/Store and I am trying to find some volunteer work along a Designer.

My main question is what should I be doing in my spare time? Should I be writing stories? Designing characters? Designing levels? Creating small shockwave games? Creating levels using level editors? Working on my artwork skills or just writing some game ideas down? Or ALL of these things? How should I prioritize what I do if my main goal is to become a designer?

I find my faith in my course lacking and I need help. Thanks,
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Stu View Post
My main question is what should I be doing in my spare time? Should I be writing stories? Designing characters? Designing levels? Creating small shockwave games? Creating levels using level editors? Working on my artwork skills or just writing some game ideas down? Or ALL of these things? How should I prioritize what I do if my main goal is to become a designer?
Game Designers generally don't design characters or write stories so making games (both electronic and not), levels and mods will be good to work on.
yaustar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Stu View Post
what should I be doing in my spare time?
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Yipperpants

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

On top of the sloperama's extensive advice, I would recommend emphasizing on what you enjoy doing the most. If you enjoy narrative construction, do it. If you want to work with a particular game's engine, make a mod. If you like the challenge of creating a shockwave game, then do that! The game industry is relatively new, constantly evolving, and specialized positions are becoming more standardized. The term "game designer" has already spawned a plethora of sub-positions (see https://jobs.ea.com/about/roles/role.aspx?id=6). The question is: what do you want to do?

Furthermore, I encourage getting involved in a community aspect with your passion. That means joining a writing community if you enjoy creating stories or a modding forums for that passion. The process of developing a game is not a solitary affair, and your social abilities will definitely be tested in the work environment. The ability to take harsh criticism against your creations, work well with others who burn your ideas, and take responsibility for decisions you weren't in favor of are essential. If you can organize a team to develop some fun stuff, I deeply encourage it.

And lastly, I wanted to point at the lack of attention your university may be receiving from gaming companies. I've had the huge luck of being enrolled at a college wealthy in professional opportunities--literally having recruiters walk up to me, ask me for my resume, and tell me what I need to do to work for them. If that void exists where you're from, I strongly urge you to find those opportunities yourself. The word "internship" is a very powerful word in breaking into the industry.
Yipperpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
ddelisle

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss50
Thumbs up Use the force Stu

Ack! University? Lecturers?? Blech. I am not a professional game designer per se, but I have done lots of game design. I attribute it to:

- Being attentative to all the games I played or saw in action over the years (admittedly a long time, so I got to see games evolve quite a bit)
- Being tuned in to what I liked and didn't like. It's a subjective fine line, but If a game keeps me coming back for more I try to reason why.
- Not limiting my inspiration to just games. I absorb all other forms of media-- movies, cars, books, tv, board games, comics, all of that good stuff.
- Drawing on what has worked before. I imagine the Splinter Cell team looked at Metal Gear Solid as inspiration as opposed to Pitfall.
- Designing something I would like to play. If a design doesn't inspire you to play it in your mind, it may not be worthwhile.
- Being able to envision the game. What looks good on paper may not translate to the real deal. Foresight is a strong design attribute.
ddelisle is offline   Reply With Quote