Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Yipperpants

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hmm yes, I was wondering if I misconstrued your vision of it. When you said you wanted the game to have an "immersive narrative" I took that pretty far. If I one day see Avarice on Steam I'll buy it and see what you're talking about.
I happen to stumble upon a pretty article which may help explain my perspective a tad better (and is an interesting read regardless ): http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/07/...con_cavana.php

The article is by Emily Short and describes the flash game "Don't Look Back", describing frustration as a key gameplay element of the game.
Yipperpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Pupil

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

I'm unsure about posting this as it's so great and mindblowing that it's bound to be taken :P . Ah, I'm joking...kinda.

OverView: You play as a super white blood cell fighting all types of viruses and diseases. Each virus and disease that enters the body forces you to take on a different strategy to take down. You get access to the regular fair of guns but also plenty of original ones only possible and believeable in a setting like the human body. You also get access to multiple vehicles.

Story: The main character is as said, a super white blood cell. Why's he so super? Well, to understand that you'd first have to understand what a not so super white blood cell is. The body kills infections by having a white blood cell basically eat the virus/bacteria. In the process however, the white blood cell must die and comes out of the body as puss. Now, the playable character is a special in that it does not have to suicide to kill the bacteria. When the character engulfs a bacteria/virus, it does not die.

Needless to say, the setting in the body is a pretty interesting setting indeed.Each organ will have a distinct look. The lymphatic nodes, will be police stations; the brain, a library and school; the heart, an amazing factory; the veins, tubed roads. You get the idea.

And also, there may be a story outside the body which is like a medical drama. But I'm not so sure since it is a FPS but still, I know how to pull it off.

Gameplay: Well you already know the objective, defend the body from the constant onslaught of parasites. How it's done is where the fun is. As you know, the playable character is a super cell capable of engulfing enemies without having to suicide. What this causes in terms of gameplay is pivotal however. Engulfing an enemy is how the player gets health. No risk, no reward. No defending, no surviving.

How the player gets to fight off infection is where the true fun is though. All the weapons I have in mind ( Like a weapon that can blow and suck enemies away based off of the lungs) all offer different strategies. Same thing for vehicles too. Different strategies will be needed to kill the enemeies. The game is a very tactical FPS without commanding anyone else.

Multiplayer offers old and new modes, provided by the setting. It is like battlefield by in a far better place: you! :P Each battle location is dynamic. For example, a level in the saliva glands will sometimes be full of salaiva or completely dry, changing the scope and strategies available to players.

How I got the idea (if ya care): I read on the gaming site 1up how gaming thrives on originality but when it comes to FPS, the possible enemies are limited to things like nazis, monsters, and aliens. A few months earlier I also happened to read an interview with Miyamoto who said how combat against the enemy is done is where the gameplay lies. This couple of readings, combined with my natural love and awe of the human body, lead to this idea.

Anyone like it? Feel free to criticize aswell, but know I let things out on purpose.
Pupil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Hey,

It is a cool premise, but I still think you need to flesh out the combat for us some more. Like, how is engulfing these enemies dangerous if you have guns to shoot them with? Do you have to weigh the decision between killing them with guns and engaging nd them in some kind of risky melee absorption minigame? And tell us more about the vehicles. What kind of vehicle does a white blood cell run around in? My imagination is filling in all these gaps that should be filled in by you. Give us some more of the weapons and what fighting in the heart will be like.

It might be a weak entry if you aren't willing to tell us your favorite parts about the game. Just keep in mind that, if you're really a good designer, by the time you have the opportunity to design a game, you'll have come up with dozens more awesome ideas and won't need to worry about someone possibly using ideas from one you thought of ages ago.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Yipperpants

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupil View Post
I'm unsure about posting this as it's so great and mindblowing that it's bound to be taken :P . Ah, I'm joking...kinda.

Anyone like it? Feel free to criticize aswell, but know I let things out on purpose.
Ahaha, his premise definitely brings back memories! Namely this old show from cartoon network: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09xPJq4vEFU

I think this game has a lot of promise, simply based on the white blood cell premise. I hate to break it to you, but this setting has been done before as a simplified game designed for children battling leukemia (the name escapes me). I heard about it in during some research for a "video game violence" debate, and the designer mentions that the game had phenomenal impact towards the kids' motivation--they learned about the importance of taking bitter/painful medicine and got to imagine the medicine kicking germ booty inside of them. Because of that kind of impact, I would absolutely love to see this game fleshed out!

You mention a lot of educational elements (via comparing organs to common things) that even most adults could learn. I, for one, have no idea what a lymphatic node is! XD The story could be inspiring, and I don't see any problem implementing it as bold as you want--FPS or not, since the storyline is independent of the internal world you're patrolling.

As for your gameplay, I'm getting the impression of FPS meets Legend of Zelda. And maybe something similar to Dead Space's weaponry combat? Although most enemies can ultimately be destroyed by most weapons, certain enemies are best fought with specific weapons. That's awesome but also daring. A potential pitfall to this would be over-diversity; FPS players generally favor 1-2 weapons and the genre typically cultivates this attitude. Another would be overcomplexity, forcing players to be a strategist in a fast-paced genre. You definitely will need to scrutinize the execution and find the sweet spot of fun "run-and-gun" verses tactical FPS. Multiplayer could be very interesting.

I agree with bob; you bring lots of interesting ideas to the table and you're just teasing us! Taking a game design into development takes huge passion, effort, and time--and money, if the game is more than just casual programming. I wouldn't worry about idea pirating. Tell us more if you are comfortable, and maybe we can rebound your idea and offer a second perspective. Yeah?

Last edited by Yipperpants : 11-21-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Yipperpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Pupil

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Oh yeah I heard about that game too, but mine is anything like it. It's actually closer to Osmosis jones (which is the movie that the cartoon you linked to is based off of) :P . I'll post the rest of my ideas relating to this game I have written in a binder later. Sorry for being vague, this is just one of the ideas I really really love and would be pissed to see it taken from me. I'm sure you guys can understand that.

Bob, it's dangerous because the enemies can shoot and attack you back. If you don't fight them you'll gradually have your health drained and die.

I also thought the game could be a lesson to people of all ages. There could be a codex of all information in the body. If that's not the players thing though, just playing the game would give someone the idea of what our bodies do every single day.

I'm honestly glad you guys find this game interesting and will post the rest I have in detail later. Honestly, I haven't looked at it for a while as I'm trying different less ambitous ideas and am interested to see if the ideas I had still sound good.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #16
Pupil

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Sorry for taking a long time, I don't have any excuse :P . Ok let's open the binder and see what I wrote just 2 years ago September 27th, 2007!

The name of the game is Anatomy of War-great title if I do say so myself- and is both single and multi-player. I wrote down it would have 100 player matches; oh ho ho , how naive :P . I got some maps like Stomach Sea and the before mentioned Saliva gland here and then there's the gun ideas I wrote down...

Out of all of them only the sniper is regular but head shots aren't always guranteed in this game. It's a cell so how would a head shot kill it? Instead you have to aim for the nucleus which would be moving through parts of the cell.

The rest of the weapons I'd say are pretty damn fun(and blanced indivdually). I remember having an idea exactly like the medi-gun from Team Fortress 2 but didn't write it down. The rest are all new and unique takes on the typical assortment:

Shot Ring: Place it on the ground or hang it somewhere. When someone trips a wire you set, 50 bullets shot around.
Bileooka:A play on the Bazooka that shoots Bile (acid from the liver) instead of rockets. It destorys enemy vehicles but essentialy melting them so where you aim is pivotal.
Snotgun:Another typical gun with a twist, it shoots snot instead of bullets. It's very effective close-range. It can slow people down if you hit their feet and can clog enemy weapons if you have really close range. However, it jams up often.
Guster Sucker-The gun I mentioned earlier that can inhale ammo from guns and use it later or blast them and/or an enemy forward.
Hair Rope:Allows you to climb walls or swing across gaps.
Neuron Tazer:Shoots a wire that when connected to an enemy, scrambles its neuron(drain health).
Bowel Blaster-Essentialy a flamethrower made from the stinky bacteria from the intestines. It slowly drains the targets health if they are caught in the green blast of toxic stench.
Bone Bonker-Made from bone and is a giant Hammer that does a lot of damage (like the grav hammer from Halo).
Stem Spawn-This is the equivalent to the portal or grav gun from Portal and Half-Life 2 by Valve. It uses stem cells to create walls for defence or platforms to reach distant locations. The longer it stays up, the harder it is to break.

Along with the weapons, further back in my book I have written different types of bullets:

Endorphin Bullet:Heals the person you shoot at. (Ah, this is the idea like the TF2 Medi-gun. I did write it down after all!).
Tracker Bullet:Tracks players with a radar map.
Plaque Bullet:Strong and may poison an enemy, causes can jams sometimes though.
Bowel Bullet:A bullet that goes inside the victim and poisons them.
Dandruff Bullet:A weak bullet but never causes gun jams.
Sniper Bullet:Different strengths the player can unlock. Each upgrade pierces thourough different things (armour, walls, glass,).
Nail Bullet:From the nails. Can go through walls.

There's also the vehicles written here too:

Cell Saw: A one-man hover vehicle with a rotating blade around it. Good for cutting through many enemies.
Bomber Saucer:1 man Bomber made from a Red Blood Cell.
The"Snail": Slow ally carrier that has a gun that cnan fire allioes across the map aswell as transport them normally.

Nothing else, much of the things in this book end with several possibilites open because I thought(and still think)this game will only have a chance to be made when I have been making great games for years. Shortly after writing the ideas for Anatomy of War I got into RPGMaker to show what I can do.

Anyway, I planned for this game to be class and team based , with unloackable and customiazble weapons. I left out several unloackable weapons because they aren't what you want to hear because they're variations on the same thing. For teams, I only have what's needed:2. The Anti-Virals and the Pathogens. Each team has their pros and cons.

Ex: AV's have better quality weapons but are weaker. P's have more health but are slower.

The types of matches these teams can partake in are:

Cure: The Av's start with 1/4 the players in the match. However, they have a doctor that converts enemy P's into friendly allies.
Virus:A few Pathogensn try to copy their DNA into the AV's, making them infected. Match is ended when the entire AV team is infected or time/respawn runs out.
Ressurections:Similar to Cure but with Capture-the-Flag at the same time. Both teams have a doctor that can change opposing players into allies but can only do so to 3 people.
Infection:Essentially battlefield. P's try to infect parts of the map while AV's defend it.
SuperVirus:One player is a super virus that takes a lot to take down. Everyone else is against him and try to steal the Super Virus DNA from it.
Percent: Player dies when a certain percent is reached. You become stronger the higher percent you have though, making it tricky for campers and snipers.
Leader:Each teams has a leader that can bring fallen allies back to life. Once that leader dies, no more spawning for that team.
Disease:Played by several Pathogen Teams.You try to infect opposing Pathogen bases with your own virus. Can make 1 ally.
Assassinate:One pathogen tries to take out as many AV's as he can. This 1 pathogen can make copies of himself though. To do so, he must use matter from dead enemies.
Lucky Number: Try to get as close to a pre-dertimined kill and death number as possible. Or, try to just get as close to a number of kills, with each death bringing down that number. When time runs out, closest person to that number wins.

There's also the normals: King of the Hill, CTF, Slayer, Team Slayer, Survival.

Along with these match types (which need to be more thought out and balanced like everything else, I know.)there's the Gut Games, which are games that focus on a certain gun or vehicle.

I'll give a few as I need to get on some Biology Homework on my recent disection adventures with a Fetal Pig...

Bumper Saws:Chop Down targets for points or knock players off the map. Bombing Run: Hit a target on the ground. More accuracy=More Points.
Catapult:Use The "Snail" to shoot yourself into a target. again, more accuracy=more points.
Bullet Count:No one dies in this one. Instead you get points for how many times ou land a shot on someone.
Snipe Out: You can guess this.

So there are many ideas that need balancing among other improvements.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Pupil,

It's all pretty imaginative. Nice job. If you want, maybe designing a level would help you flesh out the details.

P.S. I dissected a fetal pig back in high school too. Curious stuff.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
Pupil

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

I'm gonna need to learn how to code to do that... I guess I can make a mod with Source.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

heh, or you could just sketch it out in paper?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
Pupil

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

I have but to know what it's really like I'd have to make a mod or something.