Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlovemark View Post
This one was definitely a fun topic.
Yeah, I enjoyed this one too, and not just because it offered me an opportunity to dink around with Metroid (one of my all-time favorites). As my rather verbose posts in this thread indicate, this challenge subtly asks you to consider 'how much is too much?' in terms of mechanics.

If a sidekick becomes too dominant, then the game changes too much and you lose the essence of the original. Something like the FLUDD in Mario Sunshine kind of watered down (pun intended) the core gameplay.

Too little, and the sidekick is just a pointless addition (a.k.a every character in Sonic the Hedgehog who is not Sonic.)
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #52
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Well, nobody has updated this thread yet, but the results have been posted;

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...me_design_.php

I guess the Metroid idea wasn't as cool as we thought, since it didn't even merit an honorable mention. Oh well, just have to try harder on tomorrow's challenge. Congratulations to the winners.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #53
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss296

They are imaginative, but I think most of them are lacking some thought into their actual game play ramifications.

Like the Splinter Cell one: doing battle with Sam in the form of minigames would make it feel like you're still playing as Fisher, but you're motor controls have been hijacked. It seems to me that an accurate simulation of split-personality disorder should dramatically change the way the player sees the game, not maintain the same objectives but have to fight the urge to scream and hop around.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #54
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Bob,

I'm inclined to agree; several of the selected entries don't really seem to bring much, design-wise, to the table. I'm very hesitant to critique them as it might look like it was being done out of spite, but your example regarding the Splinter Cell entry is dead on.

What is the inclusion of the separate personality actually bringing to the table? I've read the entry several times (made more difficult by the awkward style of the author), and the only thing I can find is that playing as 'Sam' disables certain abilities, scrambles your controls, and makes you extremely noticeable at random intervals (which, from a design standpoint, seems completely out of place in a stealth game). And even those implementations are kind of guessed at; there's no solid definition taking place in the entry of how playing as 'Sam' changes the gameplay.

If we were just tasked with coming up with a sidekick character, instead of actually designing how that sidekick would function in terms of gameplay, why isn't this a Game "Writing" challenge? I'm not sure how this challenge was judged, and as I said, I really don't want to start complaining because it looks like sour grapes... but I'd really like to know what went on here. This thread had some pretty decent discussions on how to balance a sidekick from a gameplay perspective, but some of the selected entries seem to completely ignore gameplay impact altogether.

Edit: Just realized TLovemark's Portal entry didn't make it in either, and that was a really good entry too. /shrug.

Last edited by Retro : 12-01-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #55
tlovemark

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

Just read the results. I thought the Crash Bandicoot one was clever in that it took a self-aware approach to the whole sidekick thing. It might be interesting to see a challenge that has us deconstruct the genre our game is in. I also liked the simplicity of the GTA entry as well. Just a small little touch but it opens up a ton of possibilities for both narrative and gameplay. Shame most of the ones posted here didn't get mentioned, though.
tlovemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #56
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

Thanks for the kind word. Though I believe that I would gladly play any game featuring Sherrif Kiwi.