Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
drunkengnome82

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Degree Question

*waves*

Hello! I just joined and am in need of some guidance.

I know there has been questions regarding degrees here and in some of the other parts of the forum, but I am wondering if there is anymore information I can get my hands on (I read what was suggested from Tom Sloper). My ultimate goal would be a game producer-I have done similar work in my previous life (I did event/fundraiser/project planning) but no experience in the gaming industry.

I would like to go back for my masters, but I also want to make sure that the master's I put my blood, sweat, tears (and money) is something that will give me the biggest advantage to someone who has no experience in the industry.

I am wondering if I should

1) Get a MBA with marketing and try to break into the industry in that way
2) Get a Masters in Project Management
3) Get a Master's in Game Production

I am leaning towards Project Management, but the Game Production seems right up my alley-then it's a matter of trying to find the right school for me.

If there are any info, advice, experience, etc. that anyone can offer to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
drunkengnome82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

I would say 2) and aim for an associates producer position. Then at least, if you don't/can't get in the games industry for whatever reason, then the degree will be broad enough to apply to other industries.

However, be sure to research into Game Production on the side from books and articles.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
drunkengnome82

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
However, be sure to research into Game Production on the side from books and articles.
Quick question: Is this because I have no experience and a MPM won't be putting me in the direct loop of how game production projects work?
As if I should be doing my homework, so I am well prepared, so to speak?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

I don't expect the course to teach anything related to games so you will need to at least be aware of the development cycles that games can take. This is the same for any industry you want to go into.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
drunkengnome82

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thank you so much-I appreciate it!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Project Management would be the best. You can pretty much get a job in any industry in with this degree.
When your a producer you coordinate development of the game with different departments art, programming, and design to get the game completed on schedule and on time within the budget your given. A Project management degree will help hone these skills. Lady Aurora.
ladyaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
drunkengnome82

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thank you!

Just out of curiosity-do you think a master's in Game Production is too narrow?

I sometimes feel that way, but also feel like the educational programs haven't been fleshed out as well as they could be because all of this is relatively new.

I'm just wondering what you all think of this?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

It does sound too narrow although I would have to look at the course modules to be sure.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

That is correct sometimes it is hard like you said when it is a new program. Generally you want to wait a couple of years or so when you have a new program or curriculum so it can work its kinks out and as time goes on be fleshed out more. Find out whom the instructors are and if they have worked in the industry. Find out what classes you will be taking and compare it to other schools or the game industry in general if you can. Read the job ads for Producer/Associate Producer positions to give you an idea of what skills the companies are looking for and if it compares to this program in any way.

Most people do not start in a producer’s position a lot of them start in Q/A, programming or sometimes the art department. See if you can get on a Mod team and make some games to help you understand how to work with the programmers, artists, and designers. Producing your own games will go a long way to helping you break in to the industry.
Any other questions just let me know. Lady Aurora!
ladyaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
yougcg

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

What school is this?
yougcg is offline   Reply With Quote