Get the latest Education e-news
 
Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Mech
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default

Why do you keep ripping on Soulja Boy? Music is far more than sounding good, it's about creating a relationship with the listener. Soulja Boy is talented, give him some credit. If you are serious about creating music for video games you should be more open to why music/acts are popular, not just your skewed opinion of what sounds pleasing.
Mech is offline  
Old 12-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Siberianhusky89
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Location: Sterling Height, Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech View Post
Why do you keep ripping on Soulja Boy? Music is far more than sounding good, it's about creating a relationship with the listener. Soulja Boy is talented, give him some credit. If you are serious about creating music for video games you should be more open to why music/acts are popular, not just your skewed opinion of what sounds pleasing.
I don't want to create music for video games, I just love music. I'm dissing Soulja Boy cause you can tell there's no passion in his music, he just makes repitition. Popularity means SQUAT in the situation cause anyone can do what he does with little effort. Just find something catchy, repeat it over and over again, and viola, you're soulja boy. There's even no effort in making his musical compositions. My friend who knows shit about music did can play that one stupid song that's popular "Superman" or whatever the Heck it's called. Eminem is a musician, Biggie is a musician, Soulja Boy is a disgrace to music everywhere.
Siberianhusky89 is offline  
Old 12-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
EvilLlama
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282
Default

"To me, true music is the expression of emotion and feeling through sound and such."

Not that I like him (I'm more of a Nightwish fan), but Soulja Boy fits your definition. Direct quote from Wikipedia: "In September 2007, his single "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100. The single was initially self-published on the Internet, and it became a number-one hit in the United States for seven non-consecutive weeks starting in September 2007. "
So he's been doing his stuff long before money got into play. And from the lyrics of songs like "Successful", I can say his work is personal to him and has emotion. Sadly, I lack the musical knowledge/terminology to really help come up with a better definition, but your original definition of "true music" is definitely vague.
__________________
-Sharon Hoosein
http://wordpress.sharonhoosein.com
EvilLlama is offline  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
Siberianhusky89
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Location: Sterling Height, Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
"To me, true music is the expression of emotion and feeling through sound and such."

Not that I like him (I'm more of a Nightwish fan), but Soulja Boy fits your definition. Direct quote from Wikipedia: "In September 2007, his single "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100. The single was initially self-published on the Internet, and it became a number-one hit in the United States for seven non-consecutive weeks starting in September 2007. "
So he's been doing his stuff long before money got into play. And from the lyrics of songs like "Successful", I can say his work is personal to him and has emotion. Sadly, I lack the musical knowledge/terminology to really help come up with a better definition, but your original definition of "true music" is definitely vague.
After reading the lyrics to "Crank That", I've never felt more wrong in my life....

"Watch me crank dat, watch me oh...
Watch me crank that Soulja Boy"

The symbolism behind these lyrics obviously means that something inside of him is devastated and he needs to crank it out.

"I'm bouncin' on my toe, watch me supersoak dat oh, I'mma pass it to Arab, and he's going to crank it fo' sho'."

This obviously means that he wants to supersoak something and is being friendly, by passing it on to either a guy named Arab or some Arabic guy so he can crank his pain or something... Soulja Boy has no expression within the instruments though, so obviously his lyrics are saying alot
Siberianhusky89 is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
Mech
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default

There is no symbolism, he is describing a dance. Get off your high horse.
Mech is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Mech
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
I don't want to create music for video games, I just love music. I'm dissing Soulja Boy cause you can tell there's no passion in his music, he just makes repitition. Popularity means SQUAT in the situation cause anyone can do what he does with little effort. Just find something catchy, repeat it over and over again, and viola, you're soulja boy. There's even no effort in making his musical compositions. My friend who knows shit about music did can play that one stupid song that's popular "Superman" or whatever the Heck it's called. Eminem is a musician, Biggie is a musician, Soulja Boy is a disgrace to music everywhere.
You have absolutely no idea about the music industry at all. Anyone can do what he's doing? Why are you not famous? Why am I not famous? Just "find" something catchy? Are you kidding me? He has talent, whether you like the song or not has no relevance. Of course there is effort in making his musical compositions. It's called minimalism man, the song would have failed if he layered the song with masses of instruments/melody/chord progressions/polyrhythms/whatever. The steel drum loop makes the song. Why are you dissing repetition? All music uses repetition, even your beloved Radiohead, it wouldn't be music otherwise. It sounds like your the one that doesn't know shit about music here, not your friend.
Mech is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Siberianhusky89
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Location: Sterling Height, Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech View Post
You have absolutely no idea about the music industry at all. Anyone can do what he's doing? Why are you not famous? Why am I not famous? Just "find" something catchy? Are you kidding me? He has talent, whether you like the song or not has no relevance. Of course there is effort in making his musical compositions. It's called minimalism man, the song would have failed if he layered the song with masses of instruments/melody/chord progressions/polyrhythms/whatever. The steel drum loop makes the song. Why are you dissing repetition? All music uses repetition, even your beloved Radiohead, it wouldn't be music otherwise. It sounds like your the one that doesn't know shit about music here, not your friend.
Funny... Considering I'm a keyboardist and bass player, I don't know anything about music. Considering I know how to learn every single 9th of a chord just by looking up one by theory, apparently, I don't know shit about music. Considering that I put a shitload of hard work into what I do, and see that it gets popular just because some loser who obviously has no passion for his shit at all, I know NOTHING about music. Considering that you probably don't even know every single note that's existent in an octave. C, C#/Bb, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B, I don't know shit about music, and I wrote that without looking it up. Can you name me all the notes in a C major, C minor, C Augmented, C Diminished, or even a C Major 7th?

List of all C chords I shall name and a way to get all these for each chord's existence (How to get an Augmented chord out of an A Major 7th after finding out a C Major 7th or any 7th)

C Major - C, E, and G

C Minor - C, Eb, and G... Do you know why it's a C minor? Cause the 3rd was moved a half step down

C Augmented - C, E, and Gb... For every major chord, you can just move the 5th a half step down and get an Augmented

C Diminished - C, Eb, and Gb... For every minor chord, you move the 5th a half step down

C Major 7th - C, E, G, B... For every major chord, you add a note that's two steps up from the 5th, thus why it's called the 7th.

C Major 6th - C, E, G, A... For every major chord, you add a note one whole step up.

C Major 9th - C, E, G, D... This requires two hands in order to do it. You move one octave up and hit the key that's one whole step from the root note, that being C.

Anyhow, I never said minimalism and repetition were bad. Get your facts straight
Siberianhusky89 is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #18
Mech
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default

Thanks for the theory lesson buddy but i'm good for now, i'm a music graduate so I don't need your would-be grand standing. The fact that you're using "complex" music theory to prove that Soulja Boy's hip hop(key term here, don't miss it) song proves how little you really know about music. There's far more important reasons as to why popular music exists than how you voiced your chord progression or that you modulated to lydian to oppose the major scale. Cultural relevance will always take precedence. The guy was making music before he became "famous". He had a fan following before it was marketed all over TV/Radio. He obviously had a passion for what he was creating, he wasn't "invented".
Mech is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
Siberianhusky89
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Location: Sterling Height, Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech View Post
Thanks for the theory lesson buddy but i'm good for now, i'm a music graduate so I don't need your would-be grand standing. The fact that you're using "complex" music theory to prove that Soulja Boy's hip hop(key term here, don't miss it) song proves how little you really know about music. There's far more important reasons as to why popular music exists than how you voiced your chord progression or that you modulated to lydian to oppose the major scale. Cultural relevance will always take precedence. The guy was making music before he became "famous". He had a fan following before it was marketed all over TV/Radio. He obviously had a passion for what he was creating, he wasn't "invented".
Listen, I could care little to nothing about how complex something is. How can you say he was passionate when all he does is make songs that are about nothing? There's no sense of emotion within them as well. To call it music just because it has a "melody" and "harmony"? I don't play music and try to make it complex, I play what I feel or the passion that's felt. It's not like my songs are the most complex things over and I don't TRY to make it complex. People love my music or hate it. Can you honestly tell me that Nickelback is currently a great group? Maybe at one point they were making music for the passion of it, but now they're just trying to make sales. I'd never try to be a musician, not because I don't think I could make it, because oddly, everyone seems to think I could if I actually went out and tried, but because I don't want to be a part of what is called "music" today. There's minimalism and then there's... Whatever the Hell's on the radio... "I kissed a girl and I liked iiiiiit", I literally wanted to stab myself through the heart when I heard those lyrics from shitty ass Katy Perry. Anything to make a sale though I guess. As long as it's trying to make a sale, has melody, and has harmony, it's music and it's "good" music I suppose. Listen, don't be so rough though, you must understand that when I listen to these songs, it feels like something's stabbed through my heart and the emotion is gone. I'm not sure if you could understand that, however, I don't really expect anyone to do so. Things that've given me pleasure eventually die because one reason or another. I feel as if music dies a little more every day when Kids Bop sings The Beatles comes out or when people only like Michael Jackson now just cause he died, or some random song about Lolipop plays because people like it and it can make sales. Just one of the few things I have left though *Sigh*
Siberianhusky89 is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #20
Mech
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default

...Ok, most of what you said is just plain wrong but, whatever. It sounds like you need to smoke a bowl or get a prescription of citalopram.
Mech is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:58 AM.






UBM Tech