Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
DTR

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94
Default Visual Studio annoyance...

And so...

I have an Engine library that relies on several independent and modular libraries that each handle various roles such as providing an interface for underlying operating systems API (Windowing, messages, etc) or providing access to graphics rendering API ( DirectX, OpenGL or perhaps a custom made software implementaton?) and as such, the engine can be "composed" of various subcomponents more or less elegantly.

Setting build targets for .lib files is trivial, as each subcomponent is build into location such as : Project\Components\ComponentName\Lib\

Much bigger headache is however my seeming inability to merge the sub projects .h files into their proper folders : Project\Components\ComponentName\Include\

Up until now, I have been content at just hand copying the .h files / project into the folders manually. However, this is beginning to become a bother without limit, as when I write new code, I tend to write it directly into .h file lazily, only to properly divide it between .h and .cpp files after Im initially done with the file.

Even the more common case of extending a class interface requires me to hand copy the .h file from its own project path into its proper path to be able to build other projects that refer to stuff declared in that .h

---

So, in short: Is there a way to automate .h file merging with Visual studio 2008 on event of build?

To clarify, I am aware of the Pre-Build events command line slot, but its syntax eludes me.

Last edited by DTR : 01-22-2010 at 03:44 PM.
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

I don't know of a proper solution, but the "dirty hacker without Google" in me would create a (python) script that merges the .h files (I didn't really understand that part, but I think that's what you want) and call said script as a pre-build step.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
DTR

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

That would seem like a nice solution.
I just wish VS for all its worth would do stuff like this for me :P
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote