Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Roo Avery®™

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Community Management...?

Hi all,

I have spent a few years now building up a CV of voluntary Community work to attempt my break in to the Industry. And I wanted to finally ask some advice. (I have lurked these forums and many more for a while now taking tips and tricks)

Below is what I propose sending out as Speculative Submissions to various Game Companies and will accompany my main CV which relates to my paid enployment which is unfortunately unrelated to the industry.

I have simplified the 'Cover Letter' to make it easier to read in a forum post.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Roo Avery®™ / Kris

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please find below details of my experience as a Community Manager/ Game Administrator. I hope you see some potential based on the following.

Profile.
I am an enthusiastic, motivated and pro-active individual showing excellent communication skills, both verbally and written enabling me to work independently when necessary or cohesively alongside small and large teams of people. Actively interested in computing and marketing, especially video games and the industry surrounding them extending into technology and telecommunications in a larger general scope. An understanding of the media world has been obtained through studying and researching Television, Web Design and Print Journalism and how journalism in all formats changes the world around us.
I am actively interested in Computer Gaming, especially online, and the concept and construction of online communities.
I am a dedicated individual who can offer amongst other things, dedication, patience and honesty.

Experience & Knowledge – Online / Web activities, MMORPG and Community Tools.

Topfreelancers
Site: www.topfreelancers.net
Game: Freelancer (Microsoft & Digital Anvil Productions)
Type: Multiplayer Server
My Role: Server Administrator
Reference: TFL Mike (Server Owner) tflmike@comcast.net

I worked as a Server Administrator, Site Admin and Forum Admin for 4 years for the above site. I had been a player on the server/site for 6 years in total. I started out as a Forum Moderator and eventually joined the small Admin team after 6 months. I was the Admin Team Leader and in charge of following areas of the day to day server running;

• Forum Administration: PhpBB2 based.
• Forum Moderation: With 60 regular players and over 200+ regular forum visitors.
• Server Maintenance: I had VNC access to the server machine to carry out maintenance on the various administration tools used to keep the server running (FLHook, FLAC, and Ioncross).
• Server News and Announcements: All news regarding our server, site, Ventrilo server and Mod Updates.
• PR and Community Relations: It was my job to keep our players updated with updates in Mods and server news within the Freelancer Global community as a whole. This also include advertising our server on various community sites.
• Role Play Rules & Guidelines: Specific rules and guidelines had been drawn up by myself to promote a RP environment on the forums and ingame on the topfreelancers server. This was maintained and updated when needed to accommodate new updates to our mod and player base.
• Tournaments and Events Planning: These varied from 1vs.1 through to Clan vs Clan and race events.

The Starport
Site: www.the-starport.net
Game: As above.
Type: Global Community Site
My role: Site Administrator
Reference: Friendlyfire (Co-Site Admin) Friendlyfire@thestarport.net

Myself and Friendlyfire were the Site Admin for this community. I have since retired from this position to continue working on other projects and develop my skill set. Under us were 7 Volunteers as our Staff team, all prominent figures from the Freelancer community. We had Server Admins, Modders and Coders all dedicating their time to the site. Following the recent events, such as the closing down of the Global Server, and the multiple issues, like the vulnerability found in DirectPlay, that happened in the Freelancer community, we, as a group of Admins, developers and players, decided it was time to act. We wanted to have a hub where we could easily and freely group, discuss and help or get helped. This is why we founded TheStarport.

The Starport was originally started back in January 2008. Since that time the staff team has grown to include well known names in our community such as Lancer Solurus, Crazy, W0dk4 and Torch.

Some of the Starport Projects I had been working on are as follows;
• Fully integrated forums with matching theme (Xoops and SMF Bridge) (Continuously in progress).
• Reconstructed and redesigned front page with customization options. (All Joomla Based)
• -#the-starport IRC channel on quakenet.org, also integrated into the Chat page.
• 24/7 Dedicated Ventrilo Server
• Foreign Language boards (German board currently, more to come in due course).
• Home to the Freelancer Community Network Bar - The biggest Networking ring the Freelancer community has seen since its release. (Java Based)

Our most achievement has been Microsoft adding us to the Freelancer Fan Links page all this time after they pulled support for the game. This took a lot of determination to keep following leads and finding the relevant people within Microsoft to assist us.
My last project lead us to discussions with Ubisoft to be able to charge for downloads of the Game from our sites. Ubisoft are the current distributor for Freelancer. Since retiring from my position on this site I have been informed discussions go well.

Other Supporting Information
I am a keen gamer both PC MMO based and console based. I currently play World of Warcraft and have a Level 80 Holy Paladin and play with a casual raiding Guild. I am a massive RPG fan and play various console based RPG's. To name some of my favourites; Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9, Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Jade Empire, Fable 1 and 2, Mass Effect, Tales of Symphonia, Skies’ of Arcadia, Zelda and many more. But also including other Genres from Racing to FPS games. Currently still playing Grid and NBA Live 08 on the Xbox 360 over Xbox Live.

I am currently an active member of the Xboxliveaddicts.co.uk site and forums and will be representing the site at the upcoming DiRT 2 launch Party in London on the 10th September 2009.

Additional beneficial training course’s taken.

• Pitman Training - Customer Care Training (Issued on 10th July 2006)
• Customer Service Level 2 NVQ – Issued in May 2009
• Dale Carnegie Training - Certificate of Achievement for the Sales Advantage Programme (Issued on June 13th 2007)
• Currently working towards my Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) and my Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) qualifications through Computeach.

I am confident I can have a positive impact and contribute to the success of your company whilst providing a first class service to new and existing customers.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and discussing my application in more detail with yourselves.

Yours Faithfully,

Kristian Wingfield-Bennett

Last edited by Roo Avery®™ : 09-07-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Roo Avery®™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Ideally, I would want your CV separate from your covering letter. At the moment, it is hard to read in the forum formatting. Can yo repost with your actual CV document file.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Roo Avery®™

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Ideally, I would want your CV separate from your covering letter. At the moment, it is hard to read in the forum formatting. Can yo repost with your actual CV document file.
Hi Yaustar,

This is one of the dilemma's I am facing. My CV is seperate to this. But my CV contains my work that is non Gaming/Industry related. I can't seem to find a logical way of splitting it down to contain both parts of my work (Voluntary Game related and paid full time employment).

This is why my covering letter has ended up in this large mess of information.

I appreciate your response.

Regards,

R.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Avery®™ View Post
This is one of the dilemma's I am facing. My CV is seperate to this. But my CV contains my work that is non Gaming/Industry related. I can't seem to find a logical way of splitting it down to contain both parts of my work (Voluntary Game related and paid full time employment).
This is why my covering letter has ended up in this large mess of information.
This "dilemma" is of your own making.
You can fix it. Just put your mind to it.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
Roo Avery®™

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

tsloper,

Thank you for your response. I understand the 'tough love' slant you have used to respond; pushing me to find a resolution myself without relying upon others.

My conern is everytime I attempt to combine the two sets together I end up with a 6 page document which seems excessive in my eyes. I can't believe any potential employer would want to work thier way through such an essay.

Let me have another play with the document and see what I can come up with.

Thank you for your response.

Regards,

R.

EDIT: Upon browsing the website in your own signature I came across your 'Lessons' for breaking into the industry. Some very interesting points and useful tricks in there.

Last edited by Roo Avery®™ : 09-08-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Then simply don't combine them. It is common practice for CV's to tailoured for each specific job application. Even for speculative applications - you should be gunning for a specifc role.

Last edited by Adrir : 09-08-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Quote:
My conern is everytime I attempt to combine the two sets together I end up with a 6 page document which seems excessive in my eyes. I can't believe any potential employer would want to work thier way through such an essay.
No they wouldn't, so strip it down to 2 pages at the most. It isn't uncommon for CVs to go through several iterations till you get it right.

As Tom said, this is a problem you can easily solve yourself.

Post up your 6 page CV as a .doc.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1890

Quote:
Let me have another play with the document and see what I can come up with.
That's all I'm sayin'. You know it's too long. Find places to cut it down. Employers want employees who can cut through the forest to bring them the key trees.

Or something.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
iketz0
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I think you are ideal for the job you are applying but if I'm the supervisor who will read this, I will have a hard time reading this. I think you should create more readable format for this.. I think you should also make it a little shorter..
iketz0 is offline   Reply With Quote