Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #41
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I developed a couple of mechanics around leveling and PVP that I think are pretty interesting, but I didn't include those either because I needed to show why the core of it, the system, was great.
I'd be curious to see how those turned out too .

Quote:
I'm disappointed I don't get to read an entry from you.
Yeah, I took the better part of the two weeks internally debating what ways I could offer a F2P system that wasn't skewed towards paying players. I guess what it comes down to is, I don't like the idea of one group of players having an unfair advantage over another. Like Chess where you can buy back captured pieces or buy extra turns.

Before I had a chance to pick something I was comfortable with, the time was pretty much up. I'll probably continue to dwell with this challenge for a while... Someday, I may be asked to design one, and whoever I'm working for isn't going to take "I have scruples" as an answer...

Last edited by Retro : 01-29-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #42
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss296

AND THAT'S WHEN YOU QUIT!

No, I'm kidding. Ideally, there will be enough like-minded people so that not doing harmful things is a viable option.

Still, I'm of the opinion that offering a free-to-play game and giving advantages to paying players is only natural. It's completely unrealistic to expect a developer to just make a game for free. I think it'd be fairly easy to make a game that was balanced if everyone just bought a couple items every now and then.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #43
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss296

on a side note:

http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx...&accountno=375

I would so love to have that job. Working on the Warhammer 40k MMO. My god.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #44
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss296

Blast, foiled again...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #45
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Blast, foiled again...
Really?

... REALLY?

Not even an honorable mention for your idea? I've read all the entries, and while some of them are very interesting, I have to say yours seemed the most respectable. I abhor F2P games, but I'd actually get sucked into a game using your pay-per-story system.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #46
OGI

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Hi guys, just a quick question, did anyone of you sent design for singleplayer (Not online or MMO) game? In the results there is mentioned that it had to be online game, but in the first article, there is nothing about game must be online...
OGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #47
Loicus

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

I suppose offline F2P games would have a trial period. Ultimately if you want to continue playing , you'd have to pay something. In a sort of episodic system. Or paying would unlock the full features.
In that sense, such games would be more like demos rather than games.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #48
OGI

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I have sugested offline f2p game, where you play basic story with basic equipment and you can charge your electronic wallet with real money and buy additional content during the game, as side-quests and help by other characters. As in real life, you meet someone who can help you, but he will do it for money, than the person is helping you during the part of game, or you can split the story line into 2 line, when for some time you play for the supporting character separated from the main character, for example main character is going do distract enemies by shooting from stationary machinegun, and at the same time supporting character is going to destroy gas tanks in the middle of enemy base, and you will play both parts for both characters.. but just if you pay for it with real money (from the electronic wallet). This all should be managed in the dialogues and player can decide if he will play just basic (free but short and not so good) game story, or he will pay for aditional special content that will bring him deeper into the game and give him much more experience and fun. He can also buy special equipment and some other stuff but that is i think standard...
OGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #49
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Seems like our discussion was carried over to GDC this year;

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=27754

Not surprised at all that there's now a heated debate going on between "Creatives" vs. "Suits". Pretty much what we discussed here, really.

I'd like to get this discussion going again, I still feel like we didn't really resolve anything or come to any conclusions, and I think it's something a lot of us could benefit from in terms of personal philosophies and opinions. Since there's no challenge at the moment, maybe we can jump-start the debate between Profit-first vs. fun-first design?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #50
Isaak

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss68

Holy crap, I saw this topic as the one with the newest post and I nearly had a heart attack.
Then I found out this is an older thread.

The 'social' games of today are hardly social. Most of them only have a true friends list as their social element and employ extremely simplistic psychological tricks pushing the social responsibility and peer pressure buttons.

Social games is not a good word for them.

Currently Active Users: 98 (03-03-10 - 09:51 PM) 2 members and 96 guests
Who are you people?!
Isaak is offline   Reply With Quote