Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
mc511

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Oh by all the means the first 2 game we made turned out great actually. To be honest there were some horrible management things going on. One such example is for Torque game builder we were trying to import 3d models into the engine and have it run as 2d side scrolling shooter. Problem was we were having problems importing the models into Game Builder from Maya. The project lead got a little sick and I stepped up and called in someone who had some knowledge on how to do that. The leader came back the next week and asked me why he was there helping the modelers and the programmers. This kind of upset me because it was already March and we had since September to really figure it out. The professor then cleared that problem up by telling him there was less then 2 months away from release. Dont be lazy when working with engines and such. Try to figure these things out early enough so that you dont run into problems weeks away from release

The problem I have now is basically a lack of focus from one of my programmers. He seems to be focusing more on what other groups are doing instead of the game at hand. This sort of upsets me because professionals dont really do that. They focus on making the best quality game at hand and not worry about what another studio is doing. Do you think Bungie worries about what IW is doing? Or vice versa?

When I need him to put something together its normally the night or 2 before hand and thats not very good to me when art work has been done for almost a month now. Normally on these nights he tells me what works for him and what doesnt and forcing me to go back to my art work for the levels and redoing most of it. Sometimes I do feel like sitting him down and saying, "I am the level designer on this project, this is the way i designed the game, if you dont like it..well I am sorry I cannot help you on that". Although I feel that this step maybe rather harsh and not very good since I do feel he is sensitive.

My piece of advice to some students who are just starting out is to make sure everyone understands their desired role. If you are a programmer, great program. Dont tell the designer how to do his job and he wont tell you how to do the programmers. Its basically a learning process that you develop in school and is helpful to avoid in the future and make you more mindful of what to look out for.
mc511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

Quote:
Do you think Bungie worries about what IW is doing? Or vice versa?
At a company level, yes of course they are as other companies affect business. In your case, your programmer should be aware of what other groups/programmers are doing so he can share/steal/discuss techniques and technologies but actually work on the project he is assigned to.

Quote:
When I need him to put something together its normally the night or 2 before hand and thats not very good to me when art work has been done for almost a month now. Normally on these nights he tells me what works for him and what doesnt and forcing me to go back to my art work for the levels and redoing most of it.
Set and enforce deadlines. Also, keep your art minimal until your group has finalised what the game is going to be like. Read: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...otyping_a_.php

Quote:
If you are a programmer, great program. Dont tell the designer how to do his job and he wont tell you how to do the programmers.
I disagree with this. If you think something is wrong then voice your concern no matter which role you are in. Everyone has a part in the project and ultimately communication is going to make or break a project.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
mc511

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
At a company level, yes of course they are as other companies affect business. In your case, your programmer should be aware of what other groups/programmers are doing so he can share/steal/discuss techniques and technologies but actually work on the project he is assigned to.

Set and enforce deadlines. Also, keep your art minimal until your group has finalised what the game is going to be like. Read: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...otyping_a_.php

I disagree with this. If you think something is wrong then voice your concern no matter which role you are in. Everyone has a part in the project and ultimately communication is going to make or break a project.
Thank you, this is very helpful. Many groups at my current college do suffer from lack of communication. There is only one group i know of that stays in good communication and although they do, they hit sort of a rut where they need a programmer for their MOD. But school is a learning tool and makes you trip and pick yourself up again and again.

Also I made it official that I am graduating.
mc511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss296

Thanks for the details, MC. Good stuff to hear.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
Please use the "report post" feature.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir View Post
Please use the "report post" feature.
Thanks for alerting me to its existence! After some exploring, I found it.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote