Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
mushtron

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Freelance Writing?

Hello,

I had a few questions on freelance writing. A friend of mine has written a guide for mycheats.com and wants to continue a possible career in that area. What is the best way to start it? Where are some other good sites that do freelance writing for games?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
muntahu

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

I just didn't get the point. Could be more specific?
Writing for games? Do you mean story writer? or something else?

In fact, no one will pay for a writing, except you are writing a book to be sold.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1837
Default Bad answer to a bad question

Mushtron wrote:
>>A friend of mine has written a guide for mycheats.com and wants to continue a possible career in that area. What is the best way to start it?

He wants to write game guides? And he needs you to find out how to go about it? How old is he?

>>Where are some other good sites that do freelance writing for games?

Your question is not understandable. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson32.htm and http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson63.htm -- actually, have your friend read them. Let him do his own career research.

Muntahu wrote:
>In fact, no one will pay for a writing, except you are writing a book to be sold.

That is not true.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Platypus

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post

>>Where are some other good sites that do freelance writing for games?

actually, have your friend read them. Let him do his own career research.
I don't agree with that. What's the point of being friends if y'all don;t do things for one another from time to time. I know I looked up an acting school for my cousin when I was casually watching videos on youtube, because I knew that she wanted to be an actress and I just felt like being nice. Ain't nothing wrong with helping those you love.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1837

You can lead a horse to water, but whether he cares enough to actually drink any is up to the horse.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
WeTheTwisted

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I'd recommend starting out on GameFAQs in all honesty. It's where most of the indie guide-writers start their journeys.

It requires dedication, perseverance and a methodical approach. You need to decide what it is you want to help the gamer over-come and cater your guide to those needs.

Therefore great care in how you lay the guide out must be taken, write what needs to be written and nothing more (clarity is essential in game guides).

As well as that, you need to be actually playing the game you're writing for over and over. Testing out mechanics, discovering the best way to navigate levels... where all the bonus items are... as much as you can.

It'll take time to perfect, but if your friend keeps at it, it should become a very enjoyable avenue of gaming.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
mushtron

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thank you for the links guys.
It helped a lot
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
pugna100

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

There are actually companies who look for freelancers who can write articles or reviews. You can check them in outsourcing sites like odesk, elance and freelancer. These sites are legitimate so you don't need to worry about scams - a guaranteed work is a guaranteed payment. You can check some info of these legitimate outsourcing sites in this blog: http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...ow-to-use-them Jobs are posted here that everyone can see it so you might want to check them. You can then bid from the projects that are posted. Also you can give sample articles so employers can evaluate you that you are good in writing.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
BarrySave

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Alot of gaming sites are always hiring freelancers. Just apply. You can usually find sites advertising freelance jobs thru twitter. Just check out the site and if it looks like one you would want to be a part of, apply. Don't trust them if they ask anything from you besides reviews, news, etc.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Jaymringer

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Yeah, I agree that it's probably a good idea to begin writing for an FAQ section. It is a wonderful place to learn and is relatively easy to begin there. You can also find other writing work on the major freelancing sites. Game designers are always looking for new talented people. It may take some time and a bit of effort but it will be worth it. Good luck!
Closed Thread