Get the latest Education e-news
 

Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Programming
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
kaiser
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Questions for game programmers

Hey guys, before asking any questions i guess i will give you all a brief describtion of myself first. I am current completing my course to obtain a diploma in IT. I enjoy programming business applications which are either web-based or windows-based. i am better than average but not one of the best in my school. I also have a passion
for gaming since i was very young, thus i have decided to go into the gaming industry
as a game programmer.

However after researching, i found out that maths was very a very important aspect of game programming. I was sad to hear about this as i am seriously very bad in this particular subject.

So the questions to you guys are :
1. How much different is programming with .net technology compared to programming with the technologies used in game programming? Because I dont remember needing much maths when programming with C# or vb.net.

2. How intensive is maths being used in game programming? Do i stand a chance to catch up against those who already have good maths skills since i need to relearn
whatever maths subjects which are needed to program a game. I dont mind learning another language though. Its the maths i am worried about.

3. Or do you guys think i should pursue another kind of carrer?

My current plan is to try out digipen Singapore after my national service.
Any advice is much appreciated.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator
 
yaustar's Avatar

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270
Location: UK
Default

0. i found out that maths was very a very important aspect of game programming.
A. It isn't that important.

1. How much different is programming with.....
A. Different API, different language. The premise is still the same, you are solving problems with code. You will find that you will be using a huge range of tools as you could be working on various platforms and the SDKs can vary hugely.

2. How intensive is maths being used in game programming?
A. If you do anything with graphics and physics, you will need a very decent knowledge of apllied maths. As a gameplay programmer, I mainly deal with logic more then maths. However, I suggest knowing how 3D maths can be used (vectors, matrices and quanternions).

3. Or do you guys think i should pursue another kind of carrer?
Does it matter what we think? What you think matters.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
kaiser
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
0. i found out that maths was very a very important aspect of game programming.
A. It isn't that important.

1. How much different is programming with.....
A. Different API, different language. The premise is still the same, you are solving problems with code. You will find that you will be using a huge range of tools as you could be working on various platforms and the SDKs can vary hugely.

2. How intensive is maths being used in game programming?
A. If you do anything with graphics and physics, you will need a very decent knowledge of apllied maths. As a gameplay programmer, I mainly deal with logic more then maths. However, I suggest knowing how 3D maths can be used (vectors, matrices and quanternions).

3. Or do you guys think i should pursue another kind of carrer?
Does it matter what we think? What you think matters.

Hi, thanks for you reply.
I know that all it matters its what i think. I am just worried that i might not be able to compete with those who are much more skilled in maths. I want to know how difficult will it be for someone who is seriously bad in maths to program efficiently or even survive in the industry. (i didn't really pay attention during my secondary school days.)
I do not want to waste a few years in digipen to only realize that i cant survive as a game programmer.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Uther Mortigast
Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss52
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Default

Do you meet, or are you on track to meet Digipen's admissions requirements in mathematics? If yes, then you may be worrying needlessly. If no, then you have an additional step to take while following your dream.

Kaiser, I noticed you wrote that you are seriously very bad at math, and that you didn't really pay attention during secondary school. You now seem concerned that you will need a stronger background in mathematics to be competitive in the game programming field and are wondering if you should quit now.

Game programming is your dream. What do you think you should do?
Uther Mortigast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator
 
yaustar's Avatar

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Hi, thanks for you reply.
I know that all it matters its what i think. I am just worried that i might not be able to compete with those who are much more skilled in maths. I want to know how difficult will it be for someone who is seriously bad in maths to program efficiently or even survive in the industry. (i didn't really pay attention during my secondary school days.)
I do not want to waste a few years in digipen to only realize that i cant survive as a game programmer.
Okay, let me try another method.

I am gameplay programmer. I suck at maths. .

Honestly, I know how to use matrices, vectors and quats and apply them to problems, but I don't understand the actually mathematics behind it. As long as you are willing to learn on the job as you hit these problems, you won't have a problem.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
kaiser
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default

Thanks for the replies guys.
Anyways, the education system in singapore is quite different from US. Grade 12 in US is the equivalent of JC in singapore. Unfortunately i did not enter JC and went to study at a polytechnic, so i am unable to judge if i have met Digipen's admissions requirements in mathematics.
However if you ask me if i remember anything on Algebra or Geometry, i am sad to say that the answer is no. I do not even know what Calculus is.
I guess i have alot to catch up on if i really want to enroll for digipen or be a game programmer huh.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
kaiser
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default

Double post. Sorry

Last edited by kaiser : 11-28-2007 at 09:08 PM.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Uther Mortigast
Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss52
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Default

You might not have to catch up on a lot to be a programmer, as yaustar is saying, but of course broadening you background in mathematics can't hurt, can it? My guess is you will have to do some catching up if you have your heart set on Digipen, but only they can say for sure.

Is Digipen your only option for schooling? Are there any other schools available to you that offer courses that might help you down the path? I see you have some experience with VB.NET and C#. I saw a job listing today looking for someone with those skills and knowledge of Java and Flash to create browser based games, and they did not require a B.S. degree in Computer Science with strong math skills (as I often see). That's encouraging, no?
Uther Mortigast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
kaiser
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther Mortigast View Post
You might not have to catch up on a lot to be a programmer, as yaustar is saying, but of course broadening you background in mathematics can't hurt, can it? My guess is you will have to do some catching up if you have your heart set on Digipen, but only they can say for sure.

Is Digipen your only option for schooling? Are there any other schools available to you that offer courses that might help you down the path? I see you have some experience with VB.NET and C#. I saw a job listing today looking for someone with those skills and knowledge of Java and Flash to create browser based games, and they did not require a B.S. degree in Computer Science with strong math skills (as I often see). That's encouraging, no?
Yes, that sure is reassuring to hear.
I recently have researched more about the schools and what i hear from most people, their advice is to get a degree in computer science and make your own games in your spare time rather than going to trade schools like digipen.
There are some universities here in singapore which provides this degree. I guess my plan is to read up on C++ and some maths during my time in NS before trying to enroll for digipen.
I would not give up if they reject me though, i will try the other universities and somehow make it into the gaming industry as a programmer.
Anyways, are there any books you guys recommend if i want to learn C++ or maths?
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:01 AM.






UBM Tech