Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
jkavalier

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss31
Default What if your portfolio is small?

Hi,

There's a position for a Junior Game Designer in my city (something not quite common, I was even planning moving to another country!), and of course, they ask for a portfolio in zip format.

I'm finishing (next-month) a one-year course in Game Development, and I have two games I made for it, designed and developed all by myself. And they are veeeeery experimental stuff.

So, I only have two 'working', or prototyped games, and then a bunch of small designs written (mostly for the Game Design Challenges; four of them got mentioned so far, two in first place).

What should I put, then, in that zipped portfolio I have to send? A video for each game, and then PDFs for the game design?

AND:
Will my experimental games turn away a company that makes mostly social games?

Thanks in advance, any comment appreciated!

Nacho
jkavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254

My question would be why you didn't have a portfolio ready BEFORE sending applications out?

IMO: Upload videos to a streaming site like YouTube or Vimeo. Zip would contain the design docs and executables to run the games (tested to make sure they run on other people's PCs). Inside the zip would be the links to videos. The design docs and games MUST be polished to a high standard.

I would only put in the experimental games if they are any good and only if they clearly marked as experimental.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

Only send what the employer asks for in the format they have requested. Always. Although, if you have a portfolio website you can always provide them with the link so they can look at anything else you've done if they choose to do so.

With this in mind:

Videos are fine if they are small enough to email. Alternatively, use a video hosting service such as YouTube (or even better, hosting them yourself on your personal website just in case the employer blocks YouTube). If the games are playable and reasonably polished then send the games themselves in addition to videos (just in case the games don't work or crash at the employers end). Your entries to the game design challenges may help demonstrate your written communication skills which is a plus so include them if they are appropriate. I'd reccomend submitting them as PDFs just in case the employers arn't using Word.

You won't lose anything by applying and not getting the job. So go for it!

Good luck.

Last edited by Adrir : 06-21-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1823

Hello Nacho, you wrote:
>So, I only have two 'working', or prototyped games, and then a bunch of small designs written (mostly for the Game Design Challenges; four of them got mentioned so far, two in first place).
>What should I put, then, in that zipped portfolio I have to send? A video for each game, and then PDFs for the game design?

It's very cool that an opening has appeared. The timing could have been better (as already noted, before you got to work on making a portfolio). Submit whatever you can that doesn't make the zip file too large (maybe they stated a size limit). Game designs can sometimes be rejected as unsolicited submissions, but if you make it clear that they were in that contest, that they are not submissions, and that you are a student (that the other things in your portfolio were class projects), that gives them a clear picture of you and what you're presenting.

>Will my experimental games turn away a company that makes mostly social games?

Maybe somebody else has a working crystal ball; mine has been on the fritz for years now.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
jkavalier

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss31

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your replies! Feels great having such good support

Yaustar: I haven't set any applications; it's a job offer I found by chance in a gaming-related job board for my country (Spain). I never expected this to happen, and also expected to send applications from september onwards, when my final project will be finished...and my portfolio done. That was the plan until today!

In the opening they state a maximum 3MB for the portfolio. My two games are both > 20 MB (made with Unity), so including executables is not an option.

Actually I'm thinking of sending a CV I made which includes links to everything: my personal, game-design-related website; the links to the design challenges where my name appears and links to videos. I have a project deadline in a few days so I don't have time now to prepare a highly polished portfolio document with a nice design, and anyway I'd rather not start working before I finish my studies. So I'll send this document with links as a way to say 'hey, I'm here, and I'll be available from september'...

...unless you tell me why this could be a very BAD idea!

Thanks again!

Nacho
jkavalier is offline   Reply With Quote