Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Winter

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Question International student question

Hi everyone.

My name is Nastya and I'm an russian student.
I do apologise for my terrible English

So, my senior high school year is starting and I have to decide what I want to do in my future life. Since I was a child, I was obsessed with computer games.
Eventually I decided to be a game designer. But there is a big problem. There are no game design universities\colleges in Russia. None!
The only way to be a game designer is to study abroad. Then I found this website and researched over 200 game design schools. And my reaction was: WTF?!

Seriosly, why education in America/Canada is so expencive?
And why intenational stidents have to pay more?

For example, tuition fee per semester for local students is 2000$, but tuition fee for international students is 6000$. It's simply not fair.

So, I have a question. Who knows not expensive game design college\university, loyal to international students?

Last edited by Winter : 07-21-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: grammar mistake XD
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Eventually I decided to be a game designer. But there is a big problem. There are no game design universities\colleges in Russia. None...The only way to be a game designer is to study abroad.
You do not need to have a degree in games design to be a game designer. You can study anything you like.

Read Tom Sloper's Website.

Quote:
Seriously, why [is] education in America/Canada is so expensive?
The cost of teaching is not subsidised by governments in a standard fashion across the globe. This means that in some countries, fees are higher for students in order to cover the cost of teaching them.

In some countries education (at university level) is completely free for the student. In others, it is very expensive for the student. It varies.

Quote:
Why [do] international students have to pay more?
Many governments/institutions are not prepared to subsidise the cost of educating citizens of other countries.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2267

It is going to be likely to be expensive (when compared to local student's fees) no matter which country you go to. It is probably due to the local government giving the Universities extra money for taking students but only if they are from the same country.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
It is going to be likely to be expensive (when compared to local student's fees) no matter which country you go to. It is probably due to the local government giving the Universities extra money for taking students but only if they are from the same country.
Indeed. Unless you are European and choose to study in another EU country then it is very likely that higher tuition fees will apply.