Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
eastairwave

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Default Scopes of IT

Will it be good to do an IT course to be a software programmer (engineer) or specially a game developer.? And can I know the scopes of IT in this modern world?
eastairwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

If you enjoy IT then feel free to study it; however, little will be directly relevent to software development or games. In my experience, IT covers the maintainance of general computer systems, analysis of processes, miscellaneous computer projects and the development of information systems.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
eastairwave

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir View Post
If you enjoy IT then feel free to study it; however, little will be directly relevent to software development or games. In my experience, IT covers the maintainance of general computer systems, analysis of processes, miscellaneous computer projects and the development of information systems.
Thanks for reply. Well , I am actually interested to enter in the game industry as a programmer (may be) but also don't want to skip being a software developer. I've found out that I could take computer science graduate classes first. Will it be good for my aim?
Here's undergraduate and graduate programs on a college that i was currently looking .. any suggestions??

http://www.towson.edu/cosc/undergraduate.asp
http://grad.towson.edu/program/master/cosc-ms/

Thank you
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
kbaxter

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss90

There's not really any information on those websites that is useful to us, but if you want to get into the game industry as a programmer, a bachelor's degree in computer science or software engineering is probably what you want.
kbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
eastairwave

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Oh, then , I think that bachelor's degree on computer science will open the pathway to any computer industry ..whether its a gaming industry or software industry.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
eastairwave

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaxter View Post
There's not really any information on those websites that is useful to us, but if you want to get into the game industry as a programmer, a bachelor's degree in computer science or software engineering is probably what you want.
Your profile is really interesting. I am interested in physics too. Is it necessary to have extra knowledge in developing the physics engine or the graphics programming? .. Sorry , I am asking a lot of questions..
Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastairwave View Post
Your profile is really interesting. I am interested in physics too. Is it necessary to have extra knowledge in developing the physics engine or the graphics programming? .. Sorry , I am asking a lot of questions..
It certainly helps a lot but not always necessary. It depends on the job you are aiming for.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Oh, then , I think that bachelor's degree on computer science will open the pathway to any computer industry ..whether its a gaming industry or software industry.
Yes, if you want to develop software then Computer Science or Software Engineering would be very applicable. Please note that you will still have to learn game-specific programming on the side.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #9
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Just study whatever is interesting to you.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
kbaxter

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss90

What Tom said. If physics programming or graphics programming are things you're interested in, definitely learn about them! Build a great portfolio that shows off your physics or graphics programming skills. It will help you a lot when you apply for jobs. But don't bother teaching yourself anything you're not excited about learning. If you don't enjoy learning it, you probably won't enjoy doing it in any of the jobs you would get with those skills.
kbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote