Get the latest Education e-news

Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Burliminator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Default GameMaker or Flash?

I guess you could call me an aspiring game designer with a dilemma. The problem is whether I should stick with GameMaker or transfer to flash. For the past couple of months I've been using GameMaker to design and create various 2d games. The problem with it is because these games are made using GameMaker I can't really publish these games on web based game sites. That's where flash comes in. But the problem is I don't know flash and it will take me months of learning actionscript to get to where I am in GameMaker. So should I stick with GameMaker to polish my design skills or move to flash so my games can be played by a larger audience?

The main reason I'm asking is because I hope to get an internship in the future. Now if I stick with GameMaker I'll have more completed games to show off but with flash I'll have more programming experience and possibly published games on various websites.

Last edited by Burliminator : 07-27-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Burliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burliminator View Post
But the problem is I don't know flash and it will take me months of learning actionscript to get to where I am in GameMaker
I don't see the problem. It's going to take you years of learning lots of stuff anyway in the long run before you're ready for a job. "Months" is a very short time in the overall scheme of things.
If you are having difficulty deciding between two or more options, you should make a decision grid.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Burliminator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

I understand that but like I said I am looking to try and get an internship in the future so I need to spend my time efficiently. If I spend my time messing around with every program under the sun I won't have anything concrete to show.
Burliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1780

Quote:
I understand that but like I said I am looking to try and get an internship in the future so I need to spend my time efficiently.
Are you a junior in college/university now? You won't be ready to apply for an internship until then. Don't be in such a hurry, and don't worry about wasting your oh so valuable time. You have a lot to learn, and it's going to take time.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson51.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss684

Learning many different things is hardly wasting one's time. In fact it's quite useful to learn about all the different options out there; see what's right for what situation, or see what you like using.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

Quote:
The main reason I'm asking is because I hope to get an internship in the future. Now if I stick with GameMaker I'll have more completed games to show off but with flash I'll have more programming experience and possibly published games on various websites.
IMO, if this is what you are aiming for, I say stick with what you know best until you are ready/willing to move on. As a side note, you can also program in GameMaker as well using GML.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote