Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345
Default Game Programming Challenge 4: First Person Shooter

Hello everyone, I think it's time for another Programming challenge and this time it's a big one!

The Challenge
First person shooters are one of the most popular genres of games at present and it's about time that we acknowledge that fact with these little challenges. Therefore for Programming Challenge #4 you will be creating a 1st person shooter. Due to the complexity of creating an FPS we will accept a rather broad range of implementations.

There are 2 requirements that must be met by your games:
  • Your gameplay must revolve around shooting things.
  • Your game must be represented from the eyes of the player character.

Bearing that in mind, it could really be something as simple as a 2D image of the side of a building, with bad guys popping up at the windows and doors for you to shoot. If you want to go 3D however, this is the perfect opportunity. If you've never tried any 3D programming before, I'd recommend giving it a try with this challenge. The absolute worst case scenario is that you learn how not to do it in the future, and you can always ask for help & advice here.

The Call of Duty series of games display the current level of detail of modern First Person Shooters.

Wolfenstein 3D was one of the earliest FPS games to be released, and used very basic levels consisting of very square rooms with all floors and ceilings at the same height.

Lethal Enforcers is typically categoriesd as an "on-rails shooter", but it has shooting from the gun-man's perspective, so we will accept entries with a similar format.

The Deadline
The deadline for this challenge is Sunday 31st October 2010 (submissions should be made on or before this date). That's 2 months of development time. You may find it useful to submit your game early to make sure that the judges can run it on their computers. Source code does not need to be submitted, only the executable file and any assets it needs to run.

Submitting
To submit your game you can upload it to your own web space and provide the link in this thread, or we can set up an e-mail to send it to (PM me for the e-mail address).

Additional Information
You may use any language you desire, providing the end result can be played by the judges easily. You may reuse code that you have already written in the past. The code should be written by you, entries should not use an off-the-shelf engine, the idea this time is for you to create your own FPs from the ground up. Projects can be submitted by a lone programmer or by a team. Please try to keep the file size down when submitting a game. Also if you are taking part it would be good to know, so we can judge the success of the challenge. If you need any help, or advice on any aspect of your game, feel free to ask. Finally why not make a post/thread to tell us about your project?

Tips
  • The deadline (31st October) is Halloween so you might want to use a spooky theme in your game.
  • If working in 3d, you may find it easier to program your game controls & collision whilst using a basic top down view with sprites to represent your character & walls. Then when your controls are ready you just need to change it to 3D rendering.
  • If you are experienced with C++ and 3D concepts you could use DirectX or OpenGL to create your game. If not and you're looking for an easy platform to program in, I recommend Microsoft XNA.
  • If you need basic models for your game (eg. your guns) and don't have the time / knowledge to create them, do ask and someone might create them for you. Better to spend your time programming your game, than learning to use modelling software!
  • Modern FPS games take large teams several years to develop. You are not going to be able to match them in 2 months, so don't waste your time trying. Just concentrate on the key requirementsm then add anything nice (eg. normal mapping) later.

Judges
If you would like to be a judge for this challenge please let me know by PM.

The Entries
Ghostball by Osmethne

Rho-bot by Claxon

Goto Game Programming Challenge 3

Last edited by Claxon : 11-02-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss695

Jiminy cricket! It's a new programming challenge!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Leaping lizards!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Holy Smokes Batman!!! An FPS! Someone please make a Revolution X clone, you will get my vote :P
Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

I take your replies as confirmation that you will be submitting entries... :P
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

O I won't, but I'll judge again!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

*Sigh* Ok then. What about the rest of you? Any interest?

Here's a couple of carefully staged screenshots of my attempt (currently named Rho-bot):

So far I have the basic controls in place (look / walk / jump / fire). The weapons will fire, but there is virtually no collision detection at the moment, so you can walk through buildings which I created with Google SketchUp. It's easy to use, but I'll have to see how effective I can get the collision detection working with that.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

What are you making that with? I'm impressed. The challenge has been up for like... 4 days and you've already got screenshots.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

This is using XNA, so it easy to get things displaying quickly. I built the guns in 3D studio max in about 30 minutes, the city was using Google sketchUp (again only done quickly), and the skybox was generated with terragen.

I've made a few 3D programs in XNA before too so I'm used to the classes and algorithms that I've used so far.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #10
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss695

I'd love to have a go, but I'm not sure I'm currently able to. It's a long story, but let's just say I'm having some "brain problems", severely limiting my coding skills right now. Maybe I'll whip up a small prototype in the coming days anyway, but expect nothing... :P
Closed Thread