Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
Osmethne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Saw this thread a couple days ago and decided to give it a try even though it's quite late in the game to do so. Added challenge!

Cracking open my treasure chest of beloved programming tools I see I have a choice of Turbo Pascal 6.0, Visual Basic 3.0 and Borland C++ 3.0. Hmmm... it's been a while, ya think? I'm probably going to upgrade to whatever the latest VB is unless I stumble across something exceptionally wonderful on the intarwebz.

Looking forward to this!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Good to have you on board! I've not managed to get much done on my game for quite a while now. I've had too much actual work to do over my lunch break!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #23
Osmethne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Such a quiet thread!

With a little less than a month to go, I figured I would strike up some discussion on making these things.

If you're using a window or static resolution, what is the screen size you are designing for?

I went with a static resolution of 1280x720. It seemed the one that most computers would accommodate since almost every desktop/laptop supports it. I figured the game would run too slow on a netbook, otherwise I would have chosen 800x600 to be completely safe.

How are you building your 3D world? What tools are you using?

For objects, I used AC3D and for the world/level itself I built it from cubes. The good part is that I learned bit and had fun making it. The bad part is that the game has the same depth (but slightly better graphics) as Wolf 3D.

What is the setting or theme of your game?

Mine is inside a computer... somewhat. Like, if you have no clue what really is inside a computer, this would look like the inside of a computer.

Anxious to see replies from others!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
Joe2

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I might try a lighter challenge. I would worry that one like this one would take up a lot of time.

Last edited by Joe2 : 10-04-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #25
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

If you're using a window or static resolution, what is the screen size you are designing for?

At the moment I'm working with a 4:3 window ratio for my game. The actual resolution doesn't matter since my UI elements will be designed to scale with different screen sizes.

How are you building your 3D world? What tools are you using?

So far I've used 3D Studio Max to create my entity geometry (guns, player character etc), and I've been using Google Stetch Up for my environment (I might change this to Max though). I've been considering writing a simple level editor for positioning my levels, but might simply end up doing this in the game engine itself.

What is the setting or theme of your game?
Robots fighting in city streets.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #26
muntahu

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Quote:
The code should be written by you, entries should not use an off-the-shelf engine, the idea this time is for you to create your own FPs from the ground up.
Hi, i'm just wondering what is off the shelf engine?
Is Unity3d okay to be used?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #27
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

An off-the-shelf engine, means a game engine that you have bought or is provided by another person. Unity3D is such an engine, so it does not meet the challenge specification.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #28
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

The deadline is fast approaching. How is everyone going with their projects? Any screenshots? I'm still really busy at work, so havn't been able to make much progress at all recently other than improving my collision tests. Hopefully I'll be able to throw in some basic AI before time runs out.

Do we have any volunteers for judging / reviewing the entries?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #29
Osmethne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

I have been blogging as I go: http://themess.com/fps

Time has been at a premium the past two weeks so the blogging has trickled off, but I should have more free time soon to start back up again.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #30
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Time Is nearly up! This sunday is the deadline.

Alas my game has still got a long way to go and being so busy this weekend I doubt I'll get much more done to it. I'll put it up though so you can take a looksie.
Closed Thread