Get the latest Education e-news

Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
gr0mit

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Need help! Graduating soon!

Hi, I am finishing my B.S Computer Science degree soon, and I am looking forward to get into the game industry. I would like to be a programmer, and more specifically on the graphics side in the long term.

But first I would like to do a Master degree, preferably in game programming or specialized in computer graphics. So I am wondering which degree would be better to help me to get into the industry?

Another question I would like to ask is the awesome portfolio I read that I should be keeping. During my time as a undergrad, I have completed four projects in University for publication in different conferences. However, they were either done in a group (vary between 2 to 3 people) or they were built upon other previous projects.

So here are my questions regarding portfolio:

1. Can I use the work I have done in a group or the work that built on previous projects to put into my portfolio and demo?
2. Would projects built using 3rd party game engines or physics engine not be suitable for portfolio? As using them seems to indicate that there's a lack of skills on my behalf.
3. The work I have done were mostly not directly related to games, but things such as physically based modeling, building a skeleton animation engine. Would it be better if I do some projects and demos that are games?
4. I read from some source that C++ executable projects are preferable with demos. I have made a game in C++ on iPhone using 3rd party game engine, but it won't be executable straight away unless the person who looks at my demo/portfolio has OSX and XCode. Would it not be suitable for me to use such project?

Thanks a lot! I would appreciate if you guys could answer some of these questions!
gr0mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0mit View Post
Hi, I am finishing my B.S Computer Science degree soon, and I am looking forward to get into the game industry. I would like to be a programmer, and more specifically on the graphics side in the long term.
Awesome.

Quote:
But first I would like to do a Master degree, preferably in game programming or specialized in computer graphics. So I am wondering which degree would be better to help me to get into the industry?
Whatever interests you. It doesn't matter.

Quote:
1. Can I use the work I have done in a group or the work that built on previous projects to put into my portfolio and demo?
Yes; albeit, you must make it very clear what your contributions were and how they fitted in with the contributions of others. You should also emphasise what projects you did for fun or in your free time as opposed to university assignments or paid work experience.

Quote:
2. Would projects built using 3rd party game engines or physics engine not be suitable for portfolio? As using them seems to indicate that there's a lack of skills on my behalf.
That is fine. You do not need to reinvent the wheel. Again, just make things clear.

Quote:
3. The work I have done were mostly not directly related to games, but things such as physically based modeling, building a skeleton animation engine. Would it be better if I do some projects and demos that are games?
It depends. Do you want to be a gameplay programmer? An engine programmer? A tools programmer? Focus your portfolio to the kind of role that engages what you are most passionate about. Always follow your passions!

Quote:
4. I read from some source that C++ executable projects are preferable with demos. I have made a game in C++ on iPhone using 3rd party game engine, but it won't be executable straight away unless the person who looks at my demo/portfolio has OSX and XCode. Would it not be suitable for me to use such project?
Supplement the executable with a video. If you have an iPhone you can show it to an employer at an interview or career fair.

Quote:
Thanks a lot! I would appreciate if you guys could answer some of these questions!
No worries. Check out Tom Sloper's Website and IGDA's Breaking In Website as they should answer many of your questions.

Last edited by Adrir : 10-01-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890

Quote:
1. But first I would like to do a Master degree, preferably in game programming or specialized in computer graphics. So I am wondering which degree would be better to help me to get into the industry?

2. Another question I would like to ask is the awesome portfolio I read that I should be keeping. During my time as a undergrad, I have completed four projects in University for publication in different conferences. However, they were either done in a group (vary between 2 to 3 people) or they were built upon other previous projects.
1. The one you want to get.
2. It's fully expected and normal to have group projects in your portfolio. You just have to be prepared to say what you contributed to the project. But the majority of student projects are not suitable for portfolios, because when you are making a student project you haven't yet learned the stuff you're trying to demonstrate familiarity and facility with. You need to make more projects (but I shouldn't have to tell you that -- you should already be making more projects, since that's what you profess to be passionate about).

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

I second Adrir's comments. Particularly the point about including videos of your work. Sure, source code and executables are good, in case the person looking at your protfolio has time and is interested to see how your game worked, but the easiest thing for them is to record a video of what you want them to see, in a common video format.

Accessibility is they key here. If you do include executable, make sure you've tested them on several machines. The last thing you want is for them to encounter an error because they have a different version of DirectX to you.

Also including group projects is not only acceptable, but can be quite a bonus - particularly if you were not the only programmer. When you get a job you will probably have to work in a team, so they should be confident that you can handle that.

If you want projects to work on that you can put into your portfolio, head over to the programming board and look at the programming challenge.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
gr0mit

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks guys! Your comments are very valuable to me, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
But the majority of student projects are not suitable for portfolios, because when you are making a student project you haven't yet learned the stuff you're trying to demonstrate familiarity and facility with.
I never thought about that, but indeed those were the cases for most of my projects. Thanks for your feedback!
gr0mit is offline   Reply With Quote