Get the latest Education e-news

Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
RougeShadow537

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Don't Know Where To Go Next...

So, I just started my Freshman year in highschool last month, but have been working on learning C++ for the last two year. I've decided to teach myself how to program games because I can't take any game design or programming courses until my Junior year because I go to an online highschool and they require Computer Literacy 1 and in some cases Computer Literacy 2 to take any of their tech courses.

I bought a beginners book on C++ and after re-reading it several times, I understood everything except the chapter on Pointers (but that's another story). So now, I can make simple, text only games. I'm currently working on a beginning game development book on how to make 2 and 3D games, but have found it's kinda out of my league. If somebody could please tell me of any good websites/books that would help me learn more about C++ and possibly more about programming with it to make 2 and 3D games, that would be great.

PS: The book I'm currently working on is Beginning Game Programming, Third Edition, by Jonathan S. Harbour.
RougeShadow537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

There is C++ for Game Programmers but doesn't really teach you how to make a game from start to finish. Learning how to use a graphics API or library would be a good next step.

Have a look at using SDL or SFML. Some tutorials for SDL can be found here: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
RougeShadow537

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Okay, cool, thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
RougeShadow537

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Okay, so now I have another (probably extremely stupid) question. My book that I'm (re) reading (for the fifth time) keeps mentioning getting a C++ primer in the intro. What, exactly, IS that, and how useful would it be for learning more basic C++?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Jwong

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

In my opinion, whether you learn C++ or if you learn Python, the language doesn't matter as much as the logic and fundamentals of programming (i.e. logic, matrices, memory management). Learning a new syntax is just a two week adjustment for good programmers.

Rather than getting straight into C++, you should do a little research on what you really want in your future and what kind of games you want to make. I'm saying that because C++ is a lot to learn for an introductory language.
Jwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeShadow537 View Post
Okay, so now I have another (probably extremely stupid) question. My book that I'm (re) reading (for the fifth time) keeps mentioning getting a C++ primer in the intro. What, exactly, IS that, and how useful would it be for learning more basic C++?
Primer is just another word for intro. It is basically saying that you should know C++ to a certain level before going through the rest of the book.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
RougeShadow537

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

@Yaustar: Ah, okay, thanks.

@Jwong: Yeah, I've kinda noticed how in-depth it is lol. I'm considering going to BASIC, seeing as how I could do without all the symbols that drive me nuts. I made the mistake of diving headfirst into learning a language with about zero knowledge of what I was actually getting myself into. I've been very busy lately so I haven't had time to do research...will have to work on that sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
carlronan

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

First, go to the main topic you want to be discussed. Find friends out there including me.
carlronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Personally i'd recommend C# or Java over BASIC. If you're thinking of going into mainstream game programming your target language is probably going to be C++ and C# / Java are fairly similar to that. BASIC has quite a big syntax difference by comparirson. I started with basic myself and used it for years, but after programming in other languages I find it very difficult to switch back.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote