Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
MonsterSkillz

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Question Looking to get into the Game and Art Design Field

I am currently a Senior in High School and i decided about half a year ago i decided i wanted to be in this field. I first looked into schools that specify in the field like AI and Expressions since they are in my area and have what i want. I already knew that i needed to go into Community college to get some basic classes down.

So what i want to know is what courses i should be taking at OCC. I was looking at all of the Computer Science classes like Java, C++, VB.Net, and others. Are those classes that would act as a useful knowledge if i am looking into programming, and art design. Also what other classes should i consider taking in order to better prep myself.

Thanks ahead of time,

Monster
MonsterSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSkillz View Post
what courses i should be taking at OCC. I was looking at all of the Computer Science classes like Java, C++, VB.Net, and others. Are those classes that would act as a useful knowledge if i am looking into programming, and art design. Also what other classes should i consider taking in order to better prep myself.
Whatever courses you want (I'm serious about that). And take more English courses (whatever will help you remember to always capitalize the word "I"). And whatever required courses you're going to have to have to get a bachelors degree -- you want to be free to take as many electives as you can when you get into the more expensive school.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
MonsterSkillz

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Well i am going to take advantage of whatever i can get, but i just want to make sure i am on the right path. Are there any other things like art that i should be taking?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1827

Quote:
1. i [sic] just want to make sure i [sic] am on the right path.
2. Are there any other things like art that i [sic] should be taking?
1. As long as you are following your passions, studying subjects you are interested in, discovering what you are good at, and taking classes you're required to take, then you are on the right path.
2. Yes. I recommend you go to my site and skim through the titles of the articles, and read any that apply to questions you may have. http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
Also see http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...p?forum_id=101 (some crossover, but perhaps a better organized list)

Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
MonsterSkillz

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Well i appreciate the help then. I think i understand where you are trying say by taking all those classes.

But im not sure what i want to do in the field just yet. I could either program or design but i dont know yet. I really like the idea of working with a team of people. So i will be looking for into the industry itself, if you have any links, that would be awesome.

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1827

Quote:
Well i [sic] appreciate the help then. I think i [sic] understand where [sic] you are trying say [sic] by taking all those classes.
But im [sic] not sure what i [sic] want to do in the field just yet. I could either program or design but i [sic] dont [sic] know yet. I really like the idea of working with a team of people. So i [sic] will be looking for into the industry itself, if you have any links, that would be awesome.
Dude, I already gave you links. If you didn't read those, what use would it be to give you more (especially if any other links are unlikely to be nearly as good as the ones I already gave you)?

Last edited by tsloper : 10-20-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
MonsterSkillz

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Yes i did read them. They did not answer the questions i had tho. It was just going on about how i should be taking classes that i enjoy and what skills i should have. I just want to know whats in the field and what they do exactly.

EDIT:

Found the info, was in comp class while i was looking at the links and didnt see the side bar. Thanks and sorry for being so ignorant
Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
MonsterSkillz

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Hey, back with another question. A while back I was thinking about joining the Military as it would be hard to afford a degree from AI. I thought a bit more about it and I was thinking, what if i went into the Military to program and came out with my GI bill to start at AI? Would being a programmer work out as well a Community college?
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1827

Quote:
1. what if i went into the Military to program and came out with my GI bill to start at AI?
2. Would being a programmer work out as well a Community college?
1. That's feasible.
2. Your question is unclear. Please rephrase it. "Being a programmer," what do you mean "work out" at a CC? What is it you're asking?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
MonsterSkillz

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Sorry, please let me re phrase that.

What I meant to ask was that if I went through the military rather than CC, would going to Military look better or better help me? Id rather not go into the military anymore but with the way the economy has made it to get a decent loan, it will be challenging.