yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crastin View Post
Also, I seriously don't think releasing shitty video games helps promote a movie more than a late video game.
The release of the movie helps promote the game. Release the game late = less sales.

If you are a perfectionist, then don't ever work on a licensed project, you just end up being frustrated and confined. Also, be prepared to learn when to let go of something. Nothing is ever perfect, something could always be tweaked but there is always a point where 'its good enough' and the game needs to be shipped.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2264

By strange coincidence, Games TM (a UK multiformat magazine) as an article on "Where do bad games come from?" and asked members of the industry. The key points are:

> Meddling Publishers
> Money
> Delays
> Testing
> Licensed games
> Ambition

Worth a read if you can get hold of it.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

The problem is that movie video games are made and released like movie paperbacks. Almost all action moves are released in tandem with a novelisation of it. The book sucks, but they make money. For some reason, movie based games get more attention.

Of course, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was one awesome movie-game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
Question for you future game designers: if your first job was to work on a licensed title that you thought poorly of, would you do it just to get into the industry? How would you feel if your first game credit was for something that you _knew_ was going to be crappy? What would you do about that?
I would try to do what I could within the constrains enforced on me. It wouldn't be enough, but it would make me feel better, and I'd be sure to point it out to everybody. :P
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote