Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
maggon_rohit

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Regarding feasibility of a career in gaming after an MBA

Guys,

Im an instrumentation & control engineer from india with 2 years of work experience in the oil & gas sector. The thing is i have been a gamer since i dont even remember but due to certain circumstances i ended up completing my engineering in Instrumentation & control. I tried applying for various positions in the gaming industry in india to no avail and as such got on with with my current job.

The thing is I plan on doing an mba now and I wanted an opinion on whether an mba can really help me get an entry into the gaming industry. Or is the dream lost?

Any advice would be appreciated. Im kind of in the middle of writing essays and am very divided as far as how to orient my essays in this regard. Whether i would carry on with my current professoin or i would switch my industry completely.
maggon_rohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870

Hello maggon_rohit, you wrote:

>I wanted an opinion on whether an mba can really help me get an entry into the gaming industry. Or is the dream lost?

The MBA teaches you about business. So it could help you start a game company, or (better) work on the business side of an existing game company.

> Im kind of in the middle of writing essays and am very divided as far as how to orient my essays in this regard. Whether i would carry on with my current professoin or i would switch my industry completely.

If you get an MBA and get work on the business side of a game company, then you would have switched your industry completely.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
Desperate_Gamer

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I totally feel for you! I've studied Geology in college and gotten a bachelor's degree, but now I have enrolled into an MBA program hoping to learn more about marketing.

My dream is to become a video game marketer and completely change my industry. I think an MBA offers an adequate academical background for most business-related jobs in the video game industry. Most companies I've looked on the internet don't focus that much on your education (mostly asking for just a BA), but your experience and knowledge of the tools of the "trade".

So my advice for you is to get on with that MBA. Follow logistics, marketing, whatever you like and just get yourself out there to gain some experience. Eventually your CV will become rich enough to cover your industry switch and get to work for a gaming company.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Desperate_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperate_Gamer View Post
1. My dream is to become a video game marketer and completely change my industry. I think an MBA offers an adequate academical background for most business-related jobs in the video game industry.
2. So my advice for you is to get on with that MBA. Follow logistics, marketing, whatever you like and just get yourself out there to gain some experience. Eventually your CV will become rich enough to cover your industry switch and get to work for a gaming company.
1. Yes, I think that's a good plan. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson41.htm
2. Great advice! http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson40.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Desperate_Gamer

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

^^ Thank you! I read articles on your site and it's so very informative. I'm very glad to see that my thoughts look realistic enough from someone knowledgeable, cos right now I seem to just follow my passion but with a very vague idea of how to actually make it true. It's kinda like a feeling too!
Desperate_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote