Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
ak21

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23
Default Programs relating to/having 3d art

Hi,

I posted on this forum numerous times about how to break in to the game industry as a 3D Artist. I have searched many universities within my range (As I don't want to be too far from home) I also like business so would also be interested in that side of the game industry. I don't mind if I do some programming in university as long as its not the main focus of the program. Anyways some programs I found which sound interesting, I have done some research but please let me know what each program is aimed more at, and if it makes absolutely no sense to take that program for 3D Modeling. Please just provide me with more info about the different program types or any advice.

Programs:

Game Development and Entrepreneurship :

http://www.uoit.ca/EN/main/11259/112...y/520464.html: Teaches everything about game development, you get more specific in later years.

Fine Arts-Digital Media:

http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/progr.../digital_media Not sure the exact courses of this program?

Multimedia- will also do a double major with Communication Studies

http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/un...ultimedia.html

Communication Culture and Information Technology

http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/2726.0.html

Sorry for numerous threads on this forum that kind of correspond to each other, its just confusing for me to decide on a program around my city and the rest of my life.
ak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak21 View Post
its just confusing for me to decide on a program around my city and the rest of my life.
When you become an adult, you have to make important decisions about your life.
You have to start now.
Here's some information that might help you make your decision:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
You have to deal with all this confusion, break it down, figure out where you have to do more research, maybe even break those down into mini-decisions.
Welcome to your adulthood!

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
ak21

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

ok thanks for the article will look at it, ya I understand that. Also would anyone know what each of the programs deal with specifically? Its because I get to choose three different programs for the same price, that's how it is here. I am interested in the game development and Entrepreneurship program, but I also need to add two other choices/backup programs along with it. That is why I listed the programs I am interested with I want to get a better idea of those programs and if I should go ahead and apply to them.

Last edited by ak21 : 12-16-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Are you applying to these programs coming out of highschool? If so, it's expected you'll apply to more than one (I applied to 11 different schools when I went through that phase, though I hear the number is well into the 20s nowadays). Apply to all of them, then once accepted drill the professors, students and admissions staff there to see which one best fits your criteria.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak21 View Post
1. I want to get a better idea of those programs
2. and if I should go ahead and apply to them.
1. You should read more about them, then, and contact those schools, and discuss them with your high school guidance counselor. Or do you live in a country where "guidance counselors" are unheard of?
2. You should. I'm sure your guidance counselor and your parents will agree. Why not talk to them.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
ak21

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

@EvilLlama, yes I am coming right out of high school also the thing is here, you choose 3 university programs for $120, that way you have to choose three and then any extra programs/universities will cost additional $40 so 11 programs here will cost me, $440 and after that you don't know if you will get accepted or not. As well not much programs or universities offer programs that interest me, though I am interested in the three I mentioned and was wondering if anyone would know what each program focuses on, and if they do focus on 3D Modeling for games.

@tsloper, I have done that, I checked the internet for more info, as well as contacting the school however York (digital Media) said they will contact me at a later time, and never heard from them again, especially since they only answer the phone, from 9-3pm however I will contact them again tomorrow, with the other two, UOIT (Game Development & Entrepreneurship), I am aware of there program and will apply. McMaster (Multimedia) seems more of a general program that has some 3D Animation and Modeling courses. I called them and the person wasn't knowledgeable about the program or redirect me to someone who is. By email they seem to not check it or if they do, they send me a link to the program even if my question is specific. About Guidance Councilor, I talked with her, she doesn't know to much/if anything about 3D Art, I believe she thinks its the same thing as computer Science. However I am going to see her tomorrow again as I picked the programs I am interested in. Thanks for your help. I will also make another round of calls tomorrow, this time will make sure I get redirected to the right person. Will also speak with my parents.