Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
NeoCyberman

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default An Introduction From Me to You: An aspiring programmer

Good day. I am a high school senior who is looking to get a start in programming with some basic art skills. I say basic because I rarely find time to sketch. So rarely in fact that every time I start if feels like I'm drawing for the first time again.

My decision to get into this field came midway through the eleventh grade. I was in a word lost when it came to describing what I wanted to become. I feel a rush not just when I play games but when I examine and break them down to view their beauty. I bristle with ideas and with the time I've taken to research I can say that I have become less naive in my pursuits.

I suppose my decision came either too late or just on time. On time as I was able to transfer to some more advanced computer courses and am now looking at a certification in Information Technology, or too late because getting together new college choices is a pain.

I have looked ad several schools by cost effectively and content of the computer courses. So far I have four choices I am seriously conscidering. Right now I am looking into books on C++ programming and Game design as a whole:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Game-Desig...986550-1723213

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073...sr=8-1&seller=

I may get deeper into these ideas and ask for suggestions later but right now its back to school work.

I hope to work with everyone here at one time on mini projects and the like.
NeoCyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
NeoCyberman

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Currently I'm looking into the Delaware County Community College as it does have a Game design course (and is 3 times cheaper than your fancy design schools).

There is also Digipen if I'm feeling like traveling far. A little expensive but it looks worth it.

Finally there is a local college one island over with no video game oriented programs but sports a very good computer course. It will give me the free time to gather a group of like minded people to do some indie games. The experience working with a group would help me a good deal and maybe one of our projects could get recognized.

I've already sen the SAT Scores.

I'm having trouble figuring out my nest steps here. I have game maker, an idea, a book on object oriented C++ book I'm going to buy, I already have experience with C++ and am lining up scholarships and trying to get my grades up.

The issues that I do need help with are of my own doing. (Bad precalculus grades) But I need to make another step. When I first figured out what I wanted to do for a living I felt like I had purpose like I used to when I was younger. I need to get involved in something game development oriented that will take up any time I spend goofing off. I need a challenge but I got no programming skill.

The end question is this: What would be the best course of action for me in the time that is between me and acquiring C++ knowledge that I'm not already doing?

Last edited by NeoCyberman : 12-01-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCyberman View Post
What would be the best course of action for me in the time that is between me and acquiring C++ knowledge that I'm not already doing?
How do you know that you are passionate about programming? What experience do you already have in C++ and did you enjoy it? If you are already comfortable, then get your feet wet. Actually start making games - something really simple like a text-based adventure. It doesn't have to be fancy at this stage. As you learn, you will gain confidence. Just explore and experiment.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #4
NeoCyberman

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Well my first experience with programming was creating a frogger-style game at a robotics summer camp that would get progressively harder. Instead of normal cars and a from our main character was a monkey trying to get to a pile of bannanas and the cars were different types or animals with behavior sets made to either follow a set path or chase the monkey until the monkey was killed.

It was made in a program called Netlogo which uses java.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
randy.bernard

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

If you can afford it, I'd suggest getting a degree in computer science rather than game development. If you still love programming while you're getting a solid education, you can apply your traditional education toward programming games of your own on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCyberman View Post
The end question is this: What would be the best course of action for me in the time that is between me and acquiring C++ knowledge that I'm not already doing?
Start making games, and keep making them until you are confident enough in the quality of your programming to walk into an interview and show people that you would like to work for.
randy.bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
NeoCyberman

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

It has been about finding or getting back into a niche for me these last ew months. The thing about programming is it is the easiest thing for me to get back into.

Though I do do some doodles I dont find the time to commit my human drawings. Though opening a program and getting back into programming will be a snap.

I think I should get back into java. Its the last one I remember the most about.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Ngomes82

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

You need to choose a path Art or Programming(or both I suppose). An easy way to find out what you would like to do is to start creating games. Start out small, start with a Galaga shooter and once that's done move up to harder and harder projects.

Start planning your first small project BEFORE you start making anything.I mean plan out EVERYTHING.....draw out a concept sketch of each screen, level, enemy, object, and GUI. After planning ever single detail start actually making the game.

Don't only create the gameplay either. Make a menu screen, pause screen, options, add sounds, the whole shebang. Make the art really nice, spend days making the art for each object. Polish that bugger up until it shines like a gem.

Your gonna need to do a whole lotta programming and art. Eventually you'll find that you really love doing art or you are amazing at programming....maybe even both. After you find your passion you gotta hone your craft so practice, practice, practice.

I'll say it again though, START SMALL and SIMPLE. Work your way up.

Some suggestions:

======
(simple) - Python and library?
2D
Galaga, Pacman, Asteroids, Missle Commader....early arcade games

======
(mid) - C# and XNA?
2D
simple top-down shooters, sidescrollers, adventure(zelda), RPG's
*easy -> hard*

======
(mid) - C++ and library?