Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Durns

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Hep and advice needed!

Hi I'm new and only 16, I want some advice I'm hoping to get a career inthe gaming industry, I'm great at drawing and designing things I do art, technology and design and am pretty good at maths, but have no real experience on programming or making games on the computer the closest I get to that is designing shapes and devices on the computer in school and halo 3/reach forge lol. I'm not great at English (story and writing in general) but I have a great natural skill were I can
Capture my ideas in my head and draw them out great, I can draw whole paintings and landscapes just from my head (not sure if it's a good skill and everyone else can do it).

I understand it's not easy and it's not just sitting on your back side playing games all day but I often find my self staring at the games graphics and landscape and objects and how the look when I am playing Games.

Do you think I could make it in to game design or what is your advice, will I get into computer programming more?
Durns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Being able to communicate your designs by drawing them is definitely a helpful skill when designing games. But if graphics are what appeal to you the most, you might be happier creating assets for games as an artist.

You're only 16, you don't have to shut out possibilities just yet. Find people who can program, and possibly people who can create stories and make a game. See if there's a game creation club at your school: if not, make one.

While you don't need to be a master programmer, I would suggest taking a few intro courses so you know where their concerns lie and can communicate with them better.

You should also look into GameMaker or RPGMaker. While both have scripting languages of their own, but don't require you to use it if your mechanics aren't too ambitious. GameMaker has a free version, and while RPGMaker does cost some money (XP is around $20-$25) it has an extremely intuitive editor for top down 3rd person RPGs.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882
Default So you wanna be a concept artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durns View Post
1. I'm not great at English (story and writing in general)
2. I can draw whole paintings and landscapes just from my head (not sure if it's a good skill and everyone else can do it).
3. Do you think I could make it in to game design
4. or what is your advice,
5. will I get into computer programming more?
1. Is English your native language?
2. Yes, it's a good skill, not everybody can do it. Sounds kinda like "concept art" to me.
3. No. A game designer has to be great at English. But maybe a concept artist?
4. Read. Read, read, read.
5. No, that's crazy! You said you're an artist. Why on earth would you torture yourself with programming?

Here's what to read:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
Read FAQs 7, 10, 25, 34, 44, 24, and 27

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
wemogene

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

oopss.. you're quite to young for your age..
wemogene is offline   Reply With Quote