Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
astrunk

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Portfolio Critique Requested

Good Afternoon everyone. I am currently attending college and building my portfolio as a 2D Game Artist. My portfolio is built on 2D game artwork (concept art, interface, marketing pieces) and illustrations. I would like to receive critique on what I could add to my portfolio/take out of my portfolio to improve it as it stands.

I know it's currently a daportfolio site, and that is just a temporary host until I am able to finish my own personal portfolio website and purchase a domain.

http://astrunk.daportfolio.com

If anyone has a moment, I would also like to receive feedback on what people think of a one-page portfolio website. Is a normal link-based webpage preferred more over a one-page website?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by astrunk : 01-05-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Wanted to further specify.
astrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
ThomasSLC

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

You've got some really nice stuff here. I like your designs and color schemes.

The main thing that stands out to me that I think you can improve on are your human body proportions. It seems a lot of people struggle with this, myself included. But this is something studio concept reviewers scrutinize and will be very critical about.

To be specific, The 8th piece in your game art tab "Medic". It's a great design, but the arms feel a bit short and the hands are in a akward position.

The 6th piece "Was It Your Secret" on your Illustrations tab is a beautiful painting and a very difficult pose to tackle. Her left shoulder seems to be out of proportion.

Lastly, the face on the 12th illustration piece "Tribal Hunter" needs work. You want to be very careful how everything lines up in a 3/4 position, especially the eyes .

It's also very important to include human and animal gesture drawings in your sketches. Being two of the most difficult things to draw, it's a great way to demonstrate your artistic skills!
ThomasSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
astrunk

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thank you very much for such a specific critique. I will do my best to try and improve on my proportions and attempt to fix the issues that you had pointed out.

And thank you for the suggestion for my sketches folder. I was wondering what specifically I should include in there, and now I have a good idea of what to include.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
astrunk

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Updated the portfolio site a little. Have a question for everyone out there: For a portfolio website, is fanart of existing cartoons/movies/games alright to include in the portfolio so long as credit is given to the respective owner? Or should portfolios be exclusive to original works?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2267

Fanart is okay to a degree, just make sure your portfolio isn't full of them.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
LMP

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17

well, if you're going to use fanart, make sure it's simply "good art" before you worry about it being fanart or not.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1861

"Fan" and "art" are two separate words. Fan art. Otherwise it looks like "fart" with an "an" in it.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote