Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Rick39

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default Headed to College Soon, Needing Some Advice!

Hey guys, So I'm a Junior in High School in Phoenix AZ. I'm trying to figure out what school would get me best prepared for the game industry. I'm pretty passionate about programming and am looking for a good school to give me the skills (and hopefully some kind of internship) that will help me get in the industry. I would rather stay in-state for school but wouldn't mind going out of state either. Thanks in advance for all the help guys!
Rick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Rick39

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35

Hey Tom thanks for all your help! I checked out your website and actually ended up reading just about everything on there! Anyway, the sites really helped me figure out a plan for what I'm going to do. If you care to know this is what I think is a solid plan haha

1. Learn basic programming (C++/Java?) during high school and hopefully have a game made by college
2. Go to an in-state university (NAU) and major in Computer Science and continue to make games and learn more programming
3. Try to get into the industry out of college
4. If step 3 doesn't pan out, go for a Masters in Game Design and continue to fill portfolio

Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick39 View Post
1. Learn basic programming (C++/Java?) during high school and hopefully have a game made by college
2. Go to an in-state university (NAU) and major in Computer Science and continue to make games and learn more programming
3. Try to get into the industry out of college
4. If step 3 doesn't pan out, go for a Masters in Game Design and continue to fill portfolio

Thanks again for the help!
Sounds good. It seems like you enjoy programming, so I'd just like to ask whether you aim to become a games designer or become a programmer? Keep your answer in mind when creating your portfolio.

With regards to C++ and Java - you will probably know both by some point. Ensure you focus on C++ if you choose to become a games programmer, but you don't have to dive into C++ right away. Other languages can be useful for learning (such as Python and C#) and other programming disciplines (Java can be a good choice for servers/networking, Lua is good for scripting, C# is good for tools, etc).
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
inches

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14
Default Go Crazy

Hey Rick,

I graduated last Feb and have been working in the industry since then. The best advice I can give is to inundate yourself with game development every single night. Program stuff all the time. At first it doesn't even need to be games as long as you are learning how to use the language. Read articles and books and forums constantly.

Keep notes on everything you make. Record the process and thoughts throughout the development. This will help you in several ways. First, it gives you something to look back on which I find to be really neat. Also, it begins your portfolio which is very important to nab any type of a job in the industry. A lot of people lose track of all the work they have done and struggle putting together a portfolio after they graduate.

I keep a running portfolio at http://www.runningthrulife.com

There might be some things for you to learn from there also ^_^

If you work hard, are truly passionate and can show your skills to a potential employer, there is nothing that can keep you out of the game industry.

Good luck!
`Miles Aurbeck
inches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Rick39

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35

To Adrir,
I really enjoy programming (to the point where I've chosen to take a C++ course at my high school instead of an early release haha) but I really am into the level designer position as well. I don't really have an aspiration to be an actual game designer (Tom's description on his website helped me figure that out), I more enjoy actually creating code or levels then planning the whole process.

To inches,
Thanks a lot for all the advice on programming! Right now my lacrosse season kind of gets in the way of programming but I definitely hope to have a website and a few games (perhaps in Visual Basic to start) by the end of the summer and then just continue to fill my portfolio from there with more and more complex games. I did check out your website and some of your stuff on there is very very cool! I really liked your board game toolbox, thats seriously impressive!

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the help!