Get the latest Education e-news

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Brambo23

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default Newbie - Need some advice

Hello, My name is Brandon, I'm 26, and I'm currently a Computer Engineer for a IT company. While I am a computer engineer at my current position, I do not have a degree in computer engineering. I attended Penn State but moved to Connecticut before I could finish. Since I graduated High School I've been trying to figure out what I've wanted to do in computers for my career. I've tried Graphics Design, Multimedia, IT, but none of it really felt like the career for me. I'm a avid gamer, I've been playing as far back as I can remember. Over the past few years I've realized that I've spent about half as much time enjoying playing games as I do analyzing them. I've always been facinated with how much goes into a video game. I decided I wanted to get into the video game industry. I understand this is not an easy task and I have not taken it lightly. I've done my research (here and at other sites) and I want to be a Designer. I feel there my creative juices and technical juices will flow and I will feel at home.

A little technical background on me, Like i said I never finished college, I took a few C++ classes but I'm not well versed in it, I have learned Powershell scripting language and very fluent in that. Other than that I have no other experience making video games. I am currently re-learning C++ and while I'm doing that I've recently downloaded the Unreal Development Kit and starting to familiarize myself with that. I plan on learning as many of the trade tools as I can, but my long term goal in all this is to work at a gaming studio. But to get a job at a gaming studio, it seems that they are looking for someone who has created something previously. Essentially a "show me what you have done previously" resume.

My plan is to make a few games ( start small then create a FPS type game) and then start applying for positions. (This is something I plan on taking at the very very least a year ) The FPS type game is my big goal and I don't plan on making it all myself, I've been slowly poking around and seeing what talents my friends have that could possibly help me.

I want to know if this seems like a legimiate plan, or am I looking over some key things, or if there are any tips you can provide to help. I've read through the site and I've been going through all the links provided in the sticky and checking the design section of the forums (I'm currently working on the Poke-spinoff challenge). All of that information has been wonderful and honestly finding your site was really the key to me deciding this is definietly what I want to do.

Mostly this is just a sanity check for me because I really want to do this right and don't want to seem like a stupid kid that thinks that playing games a lot doesn't mean you can make them easily. You all seem very helpful and nice so I figured this would be the best spot for constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon
Brambo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1883

Hi Brandon, you wrote:

>I'm 26, and I'm currently a Computer Engineer for a IT company... I do not have a degree in computer engineering. ...my long term goal in all this is to work at a gaming studio. But ... it seems that they are looking for ... a "show me what you have done previously" resume.
>My plan is to make a few games ( start small then create a FPS type game) and then start applying for positions... I want to know if this seems like a legimiate plan, or if there are any tips you can provide

Yes. It does. Make a knock-their-socks-off portfolio. And read these:
http://archives.igda.org/breakingin/...rogramming.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Brambo23

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Thanks Tom.

THANKS FOR CALLING ME STUPID (lol j/k)

I've been reading your site along with many others, I'm on lesson 4 currently but I skipped ahead to the pages you linked. Alot of the tips in there are making me realize that I am doing all the right steps to give myself a real shot at this (I just ordered a subscription to game developer a week ago, and I've been looking at the IGDA, and trolling around Gamedev ). All of your advice is very helpful and it's filled with great information.

Thank you for everything you've put out on the net for aspiring gamers like us. It's people like you that give us hope to get into the gaming industry.

Now, back to my dark hole of research, I'll surface for air every now and then lol

Last edited by Brambo23 : 02-25-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambo23 View Post
Thanks Tom.
THANKS FOR CALLING ME STUPID (lol j/k)... lol
LOL Why, how many of the stupid tricks were you doing? ROTFLMAO

Old 02-26-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
Brambo23

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

I'll be honest when I first started doing research, I was doing alot of stupid blindness, stupid location, stupid whining, and mostly Stupid Inferiority.

Luckily before I made this post I was able to get past all of it. So it made me feel like I had a good sense of what I need to do.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambo23 View Post
I'll be honest when I first started doing research, I was doing alot of stupid blindness, stupid location, stupid whining, and mostly Stupid Inferiority.
None of that means YOU are stupid.
I'm changing the title of that FAQ.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
Brambo23

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
None of that means YOU are stupid.
I'm changing the title of that FAQ.
LOL I know I was kidding

If people actually read your whole article it says it doesn't mean your stupid, but that's just the best word for it.

No need to change it, your whole message is to bring the truth to people and not sugar coat it, and if people get offended by hearing the word stupid, then they don't have the gut to handle being rejected by a job interview or from them trying to sell a game.

I say keep it the way it is, don't change it, I apologize if you thought I was serious.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1883

It has a new title, and I'm sticking to it. Glad you found the article helpful.