Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #81
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

Murphy's combo system idea was my favorite of the submissions. Getting people out of the usual "Push button - receive magic spell" idea would definitely be interesting.

I notice a trend toward "classless" character design in the submissions. I'm never sure what to say about classless design. A lot of the games that I've seen that don't have classes (like the GURPS and Shadowrun PnP RPG's, or the EVE MMO) tend to end up with a lot of over-tweaking and are notoroiusly difficult to balance, with people ending up usually just using the same skills over and over for specific "classes" anyway, whereas giving a character an actual class gives that character a specific flavor and allows the the designers to balance the game and design specific quests around that class. So, yeah.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #82
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Yes congrats to everyone who not only submitted, but also those who were chosen! I think one thing a lot of the posted ideas had wrong was not very many new ways to play, which in hindsight should have been more of a focus for myself. Either way good luck to everyone for the P.E. Challenge and the current Racing Mini-Game Challenge!

Tim Edwards

PS- Just because you weren't chosen, doesn't mean your idea was bad! In fact if you're curious as to what other people might have thought, I recommend still posting your idea in this forum for some feedback! We're not all in the industry, but someone's advice might be that key ingredient you need!
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #83
Boco

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

For the people who missed it, the results of that week's contest are here. I know I'm just a nodoby gamer, but here are my thoughts on the highlighted six entries.

Combo System - I really like this. This is a new way to play. It's very obviously derived from the game Waving Hands, but nothing like it has been in any online game before, certainly, and Waving Hands itself is an obscure little game from the early nineties that noone played. Good job.

Entomancer - This seems like an interesting and new idea, and is one my circle of friends thought of while brainstorming for the game. We eventually decided it would be very hard to balance unless the game was built with positioning being important from the ground-up, but noted that similar abilities are used by WoW bosses (for example) so they would definitely work in PVP.

Phelbotomist - Very nice. While the class plays like existent classes, it definitely has a unique advancement mechanic and its existence changes the game for everyone else. This is deifnitely my top idea from the six posted.

One From the Industry - Go back to industry. This idea is very far from new, even if it's fun. We've been doing similar things in Tabletop RPGs since the late 80s (maybe you noticed White-Wolf, second largest RPG company in the world?) and also similar things in online RPGs (Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies (the original), etc). I don't really know what in that list you consider "new" but...

The Good Word - Sorry, there are no classes (or gameplay) here.

ROFL! - Sorry, those are WoW classes with no changes.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #84
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshade View Post
Murphy's combo system idea was my favorite of the submissions. Getting people out of the usual "Push button - receive magic spell" idea would definitely be interesting.

I notice a trend toward "classless" character design in the submissions. I'm never sure what to say about classless design. A lot of the games that I've seen that don't have classes (like the GURPS and Shadowrun PnP RPG's, or the EVE MMO) tend to end up with a lot of over-tweaking and are notoroiusly difficult to balance, with people ending up usually just using the same skills over and over for specific "classes" anyway, whereas giving a character an actual class gives that character a specific flavor and allows the the designers to balance the game and design specific quests around that class. So, yeah.
I agree, I thought Murphy's was great, but I wasn't as excited about the other entries. I might have had high expectations...
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #85
jj10dman

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I've been watching the feature page for the design challenge and it still just shows the MMO classes as an open challenge. Do I have the wrong bookmark or something? From the organization of the site it looks like I have the one and only official page.

Hey guys, a lot of that game UI design stuff applies to wewbsites! lol

edit: to clarify... I have this page: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...me_design_.php

When I click the link near the top saying "James Portnow's Design Challenge", it directs me back to the same page, implying there's no higher tier. I don't have the patience to go on a wild goose chase for whatever page all the other stuff is on, but congratulations to whoever won.

Last edited by jj10dman : 04-25-2008 at 03:02 PM.
jj10dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #86
Crowskie

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj10dman View Post
I've been watching the feature page for the design challenge and it still just shows the MMO classes as an open challenge. Do I have the wrong bookmark or something? From the organization of the site it looks like I have the one and only official page.

Hey guys, a lot of that game UI design stuff applies to wewbsites! lol

edit: to clarify... I have this page: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...me_design_.php

When I click the link near the top saying "James Portnow's Design Challenge", it directs me back to the same page, implying there's no higher tier. I don't have the patience to go on a wild goose chase for whatever page all the other stuff is on, but congratulations to whoever won.
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...nows_game_.php
Crowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #87
zero1328

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

If you look in the url, you'll notice that the articles are numbered. What Portnow did was make a new article, wth an identical or similar title. Try going to the main page to see updates.
zero1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #88
Argyle

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Tim Maly, One From the Industry

I was reading over the honorable mentions article from; "Tim Maly, One From the Industry" and I was very interesed in his thinking but as I thought more about it I realized that this is exactly what Nexon has done with the Mabinogi game. While you can choose to follow one particular path(warrior mage, healer, etc) you are not limited. Infact I think that is one of the reasons I got hooked on playing that MMO (that and the fact that it was free never hurts)
Argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #89
wizopizo

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default In answer to game classes

I literally just started thinking of classes and here are two, one is a class that controls metals and can shape them as well as be telekinetic or magnetic. The second is a time based class that can effect saves, speed, attacks by increasing when things happen etc. Another random idea that i have just thought up in thirty seconds is that there may be an electricity controller. One who has all skills based on charges, can overcharge, etc. To many classes have reflected on how to use the shadow but how about the light? what about someone who can use the light to blind, make illusions, or simply use the radiation from light to harm a target (unshielded un o zoned light).

Last edited by wizopizo : 02-12-2011 at 07:33 PM.
wizopizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #90
Brasington

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

When the brief suggested "a brand new way to play" I took that literally. I created a table top game where the only class was human, but you could have been educated or trained in certain ways. However it was about managing a community, not a character. I've adapted the original plan to work in a programable way. I think my idea is still more suited to the freedom of table top, but might work within current programming limitations.

The Primary thing to take away from this, is that it's a non linear RPG. You 'level' with your environment.

----------------------------------------------

You have a community which is in a defended location designed to be sustainable. It has to fight against hordes of whatever; zombies, mutants, other humans, not important to mechanics.

Your community needs some important things; Defence and food, medicine, ammunition, resources, and repair materials and such to match your 'fortress'. The players are scavengers and raiders. They go out in search for; people with special skills, books with information, food, medicine, tools, weaponry.

I should mention here each resource has a general category and a specific category. Such as encyclopaedias, DIY tool box, ready meal, first aid box for general, and Human Biology Text Book, Anti-Biotic or red wine for specific. Certain things increase upkeep and if not met your people die or things break. However if you are outperforming the min upkeep things improve in efficiency

Books have 2 stats "User friendly level" vs. "Quality of information" Lower skilled people need user friendly levels and higher skilled can use the higher quality but harder to read information. Books are used in 2 ways in game. To learn to fix a current problem, or to learn to build something new.

Then food has 2 important uses: Energy and health. The amount of food you can bring it represents how many survivors you can have. A person needs 2000 calories a day to function at 100%. Further info here: http://nutrition.about.com/od/change...a/calguide.htm
Health can be gained from vitamins and minerals in food or in medicine (pills and supplements)
Certain characters like doctors may demand specific luxuries for their services, such as champagne. It depends on the terms of their service.

Medicine: Working in dangerous places such as heavy machinery or combat increases your medicine upkeep. Your defenders and scavengers will be the neediest. Although a lack of cleanliness or sanitary will increase need for anti-biotic and the like.

Cleaning resources: You need tools and chemicals. Remember even if you have clean buildings, but your food is unclean all that cleanliness was wasted.

Repairs and engineering.
Here we can get some specific and interesting ideas. Barricades, buildings, plumbing, electricity and electrical equipment, weapon repairs and modifications, cars. Here tape, glue, nails and spare wiring is your friends. You also need to keep stock of soldering iron for example. Just the general resources we use when it comes to fixing stuff. Specific problems require spare parts and specific tools.

Weapons necessary for both defence and raiding if your enemy will not negotiate.

I would suggest the game starts with you coming across a fortified location; perhaps a secondary school (Gated, Design and Technology rooms, cafeterias, medical rooms) slightly away from the residential areas.
Or perhaps out of town in the country off a side road is a service stop with petrol station, mechanic shop, and a cafeteria, with a large amount of abandoned caravans out back.)
Level 1 community might have; 1 nurse, a mechanic doing his apprenticeship, a café stop cook, a teacher, 2 men and 2 women who’ve joined up with a retired soldier for defence, then maybe, 2 kids. This can all vary.

The social aspect is diplomatic in the real sense. Communities can negotiate, merge, fight.
Brasington is offline   Reply With Quote