Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
sarge mat

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Bit of advice needed (Uni or not etc)

Hey guys

Right this is my first post here so I hope it’s a good one. I live in the UK and am currently an E-Media student doing a BTEC national diploma in Media but will be finished this May. I have applied to two uni's Tee Side and another one which I won’t say because after looking at the past work on the site it put me right off.

But I have known for some time that my college is going to run a HND Foundation degree thing in media as a follow up to the BTEC. The HND won’t be all games stuff in fact a lot of it will be other media stuff but I feel that it’s a great way for me to study other subjects I am interested in wile learning and developing my skills (level design and 3d) even more in my own time over those two years, while being able to stay at home and stay with my friends at college (which is the whole class only 10 of us lol) and we have great tutors as well. I know I would be doing a lot more games stuff at uni but I have heard from more than one person that if you really want to get into the industry you end up learning a lot of the stuff you need yourself.
Just to give you an idea I have been interested in games development for several years but it’s only really in the last year I have started to use program like Unreal ED max and in the last few months have joined gameartist.net so am really on the right track as far a level design and 3D Modelling.

So what I am asking is do you think I stayed at home and did a HND but worked like hell in my own time (even doing a few online courses in 3D) I would stand a good chance of getting into the industry as a level designer or even a 3D Modeller .

Many Thanks
sarge mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss2256

Univeristy. It is possible to get into the industry without a degree but the chances are very small unless you have contacts within the industry.

If I had a pile of CVs in front of me, my first sort would be to split them into:
- People with commercial industry experience
- People with degrees
- Everyone else

After that, I would start from the top and work my way down, by the time I reach 'everyone else', I would have most likely found someone.

Read these two job advertisements, can you match what they ask for?
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs_vi...tion=3&start=0
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs_vi...ion=3&start=40

Once you have done your HND, can't you transfer to either the 2nd or 3rd year of a degree course?

Last edited by yaustar : 01-19-2008 at 05:23 AM.
yaustar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
sarge mat

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks. I have decided that for now i want to stay a home and not move over to england well not just yet anyway. Yea i think you are right you can move to a 2 year in a degree or somthing if you have a HND.

I think a lot can depend on the studio as well to quote the jobs section on Bizarre creations site "You don't need a degree to work in this industry; you just need passion and a bit of talent".

I would not say that I have really close contacts in the industry but over here in Northern/South of Ireland the dev community is very small and have talk to guys from a few of the studios on the gamedeveloper.ie boards.

Last edited by sarge mat : 01-19-2008 at 07:57 AM.
sarge mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss2256

"You don't need a degree to work in this industry; you just need passion and a bit of talent".

It is true, but having a degree helps a lot. If I had two candidates of similar skill, one who had a degree and who didn't, which one do you think I would have chosen?

A degree is proof that the person in question as completed a formal course in the desired field of work.

That said, a degree is not enough alone, you still need to study and work in your own time to further yourself.
yaustar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Red_5

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

I would do the degree at Tee Side. There are alot of good looking courses there that I should have chosen. I'm doing a degree in Digital Arts and while it addresses the contemporay side of art on the web, 3D and stuff like that we are doing a ....psuedo game design module. Unfortunatly you might find that if you dont pick a dedicated course like Game Design, or Game Art you'll know more about games than your tutor, at least thats what i've found :P.

But go for what makes you happy and what your comfortable with. In the end practical experience, talent and flare will get you where you want to go.
Red_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
TagZ

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hi, first post. I live in England, two courses im going to do is a BTEC national diploma in Games Development and after my BSC Honors in Game Development at Uni. Just incase you didn't know about the Hons course i wanted to inform you because, it may be possible for you to enroll with the passing of your BTEC media. Here is a link with information about the course http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/unde...e_details.aspx

Just a suggestion.

My personal experience with online courses aren't that good, so my thought is that its for a certain type of person only. Also studying in another country in my opinion is a great experience.

Last edited by TagZ : 02-03-2008 at 02:41 PM.
TagZ is offline   Reply With Quote