yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
I got bored so I thought I take a look at what courses exist for games in the UK, it turned out to be 285 which is a lot more then I expected taking into account of the traditional courses that are not included in this count.

If 10 graduated per course, that means there is potentially 2850 graduates per year wanting to enter the industry in the UK alone which to me seems far too many for the size of the industry.

Any thoughts?
Looks like it has been echoed: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32817
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
Uther Mortigast

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss52

It is interesting to me that M. Jeffery says on one hand, "That means [gaming degree holders] come to a company like ours and they need extra training - they're not quite ready," then goes on to say that EA prefers to train traditional degree holders into programming roles.

So with either degree holder, EA needs to train-up their new hire. I can believe that, for I contend that schools do not teach you what you need to know to do a job. Rather, they arm you with tools to help you learn your job once you get it. Evidently by what Jeffery says, EA prefers one toolbox over another.

If that bias is prevalent in the industry -- that specialized gaming degrees are worth less than broader scoped degrees -- then the ratio of jobs to graduates is much less disproportionate. That is, at least for those with CS or SE degrees.