Get the latest Education e-news

Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
spartansp

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Hey all

Been a reader of GCG for a while now figured I should get on the horse with the forums.

I'm a character artist graduating from the Academy of Art University in Summer 2011 and am looking forward to where I go where from there. I thoroughly enjoy low-poly/stylized games from mobile to PC/console as well as higher-res AAA art. When it comes down to why I love games, it's a combination of manifesting a product for enjoyment by an audience and, transporting that audience from one world into another (both game play and feel from visuals/sound). AAU's game program is rapidly growing and increasing in its stability in course variety and supporting more Design/Coding classes. Though I won't be able to participate in these much, I am very excited about the future growth and success of the School of Game Design.

My portfolio is at: sagarpatel.net

What also got me to post is finally getting myself to engage in the GDChallenges on here; the current song-inspired challenge sounds awesome!

Cheers
Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
yangmation

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I would love a job where all I did was just draw, draw, draw!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
donahueg

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default art all looks the same

I don't get why all the characters looks the same on engines by rockstar or suckerpunch, etc. They can change the venue from space to the old west, but all the people look the same...I mean really? Where are the short people, the fat people, the skinny ones. Where are the gingers and the muslims, etc. etc.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
JohnW67

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Maybe one of you can help me here. I'm a student in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and I would love to study at a Academy of Art University in the US. Does anyone of you know where I can go best? I'ld rather here it from you than read it in a folder...thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
jamesbb76

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Tried to take a look at your portfolio but got an error message, could you check the link?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Lt Topcat

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahueg View Post
I don't get why all the characters looks the same on engines by rockstar or suckerpunch, etc.
The reason is when you use similar game engines they reuse the same calculation at the graphic card code level in the engine to construct and animate the characters, of course this code can be altered but its high level mathematics calculating the vectors points positions in 3d space, its just simpler to use a game engine with the calculations already done without much altering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahueg View Post
Where are the gingers and the muslims, etc. etc.
They don’t include minorities like Muslims just to avoid hassle; the makers of resident evil had a lot of hassle just because they had black people as zombies in North Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW67 View Post
Does anyone of you know where I can go best?
I know going to a great collage or uni is a good help in a career yet it’s not everything. You just need to learn the basic skills and then tailor your portfolio to the sort of job you won’t. There are many successful people in the game industry who don’t have degrees in game relevant areas but just learn the skills they needed and made it happen. Some didn’t go to a collage or uni but in these day people need a degree to have a chance of passing the filter system unless you work is just plain amazing.

Last edited by Lt Topcat : 10-05-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Lack of sleep before first draft
Closed Thread