mickehill

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Portfolio Feedback Request

Hi,
I just found this site, and I have not gotten much feedback online,
so therefore this is very exciting, I have added some photos in my portfolio, no bios tho. I had planned to put up much more pics before showing to anyone, but I guess I wasn't patient enough ^^
I am, like many others, trying to make it in this business. Art is my thing, I haven't been doing this for very long. But it is my dream.
I bought a pen tablet two weeks ago. It has helped :P

Plz let me know, do u think those pics reach a level where I could get work ?
I will add much more pics also.

THX !
http://mikaelhill.daportfolio.com
Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
dgb101

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Re: Portfolio Feedback Request

Never be afraid to follow your dream. As I told my sons, "Pursue you passion; the money will come." -- Of course, it sometimes takes a while. ;-)

I don't know what the entry level is for artists. (I play at art, but earned my keep as a programmer.) My suggestion is to keep building your portfolio, work on your art every day (that's how you get better), and do what you're doing here. Put it out for comment.

When you feel you've got a strong enough portfolio, start interviewing. If you don't know where, start networking. You'd be surprised at how many jobs are gained through networking.

Re: Your work, it shows good color and movement. Decent variety, but don't be afraid to stretch yourself. Often we learn by trying and failing.

I especially love Dragon Mother. The atmospheric perspective is spot-on, and you captured that somber mood perfectly. The next image, Chica, was a bit of a surprise -- quite different from your other pieces, but the modeling on shoulder, arm and bosom are beautifully done. Definitely another another one of my favorites.

You've got talent, and you've got passion. Just keep expanding your network, and you'll find that all important "first job".

Don
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
mickehill

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thanks alot Don, it means alot what you wrote. I will pursue my passion
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
skymikami

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I was about to answer, but Don answered everything so clear
Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

You will find it very difficult to break into the games industry as a concept artist purely because they are not in demand and there are very few positions. AFAIK, we don't have any at the studio I currently work at.

Your best bet is to either expand your skills to computer art (either 3D or 2D) and/or expand the number of industries you would be willing to work in.

As dgb101, you need to network and get noticed by someone. Flaunt your skills online, use subject material that fan sites might be interested in. Very example, someone recently got hired for the next Tin Tin movie because he did a really good piece based on the current Tin Tin movie.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
mickehill

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

yaustar, ok, thx for the tips, but when u say expand into computer art, what do u mean exactly ? =) If I would do 2D art, like some of the stuff that I do now, what industry should I turn towards ?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickehill View Post
yaustar, ok, thx for the tips, but when u say expand into computer art, what do u mean exactly ? =) If I would do 2D art, like some of the stuff that I do now, what industry should I turn towards ?
3D modelling, animation, vector based art, stuff that would be actually used in game.

Look for work in illustrations (books, magazines, short story writers), advertising, etc.
Closed Thread