Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Fandeaven

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Game Industry Saturation + Future?

Hello, I'm pretty new to this, and I had a question.

A lot of people are telling me to stay out of the Game Industry because in a few years computers and everything will be doing most of the work.

They also are telling me that it will be to saturated. I'm wanting to get into Game Art, but I want a career that isn't on it's way out.

Can anyone give me advice and tell me if the above is false dogma?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I wouldn't listen to all of that. The games industry is just hitting its stride, and I don't believe it is going anywhere anytime soon. Look at the movie industry(since the game industry is constantly compared to it) and how long it has been around. There are computer techniques used in that industry, but they still don't eradicate the need for creative writers/directors/actors/etc. If computers gain usage in this industry, they still cannot replace talented writers/designers/artists/etc. Computer AI is developing, but not at a rate that would be cost effective to replace human components any time soon. If you have the desire to follow this course of action, then you should continue along this path because the Game Industry is going nowhere for a long time to come.

Also, with the expanse of the industry, there will always be a need for talents in all areas, so if you continue to hone your craft, there should be a place for you in the industry.

-Jon
Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I want to meet the programmer who programs a computer to write code good enough to make a game.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I know a guy who once said he wrote a program to write a program for a graphics assignment. I don't know exactly what he meant by that, but it was supposedly going to create a model for him instead of him using the OpenGL commands to build it from scratch.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Maj Boomer

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Around 2000 and 2001 when the tech bubble was bursting, I was told that sofware engineering would not be a good field to get into. That of all the out of work dot Com'ers would saturate the industry. If you look at the job postings today, there are so many software engineering jobs out there it isin't even funny. There are sub-fields when it comes to this industry as well. Look at the field of simulation, it is growing by leaps and bounds, especially within the area of defense. Gaming is here to stay! TV and Holywood are just scared!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
kate1ft

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Re: Game Industry Saturation + Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
I want to meet the programmer who programs a computer to write code good enough to make a game.
Good point. I belive it will take at least 10-20 years before that happens.
Closed Thread